The Systems Engineer works withengineering and Science & Technology to ensure that we design and build high quality, consistent products.
- Bridges the gaps between Electrical, Mechanical, Optical, and Software Engineering to ensure that all components work together efficiently and properly in the finished system.
- In addition to design responsibilities, the Systems engineer is responsible for debugging new product prototypes, and provides support for product development manufacturing in debugging extraordinary problems on the production line.
Duties & Responsibilities
SPECIFIC DUTIES, ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Define product requirements, engineering specifications, sub-contractor and vendor specifications, test plans and test procedures.
- Define sub-contractor Performance Work Statements
- Perform analyses to model the behavior of the designed system with respect to environmental conditions to elicit subsystem requirements. Verify that the design as built performs as anticipated by the model.
- Perform trade studies leading to optimal system-level architectures which also support modularity, re-use of sub-systems, peripherals compatibility, integration of third party modules and interfaces with other systems.
- Coordinate risk identification, analysis, and response planning for assigned projects and programs using industry or Government standard process
- Develop and communicate budgets for power, weight, noise, etc. for sub-systems based on overall system requirements.
- Familiar with DOD Integrated Logistics Support (ILS) requirements and products such as sustainability, maintainability, reliability, and provisioning.
- Work with all engineering disciplines to ensure successful integration of final product.
- Participate in overall test program including execution of system level tests.
- Ability to define procedures, process, and specifications for Information Assurance.
- Work cooperatively with Business Managers, Project Leaders, Program Managers, and Departmental Managers to ensure a high standard of integration and teamwork aimed at achieving company goals and objectives
- Provide requirements management and architecturesupport to software engineers.
- Provide support and oversight to in-house or sub-contracted Integrated Product Support functions, including Reliability, Availability, and Maintainability; Human Systems Integration, Provisioning, Maintenance, Technical Manuals, and Training.
- Develop and implement Systems Engineering processes and procedures
- Other duties as required.
Education/Training: Bachelors degree in an engineering discipline
Experience: 5+ years in product design development and Systems Engineering.
- Product Development Process, DoD and DHS Systems Engineering Requirements, Requirements
- Management Tools (e.g., Teamcenter, DOORS, Cradle), MATLAB experience a plus.
- Familiarity with DoD and TSA acquisition process, Systems Engineering process, and Security process a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven leadership skills
- Understanding of modeling of system behavior
- Ability to read, understand electronic circuits
- Excellent troubleshooting and diagnosis abilities
- Able to move equipment weighing as much as 40 lbs, and lift it on/off tables.
- Experience in driving new products from engineering to manufacturing
Engineering lab, cubicle with computer, manufacturing floor. Visits to vendors.
At Smiths Detection we are dedicated to making the world a safer place.
Smiths Detection, a division of Smiths Group, is a global authority on the application, management and manufacture of world class detection and screening technology.
We deliver solutions needed to protect society from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals, and narcotics. Delivering an unrivalled range of detection technologies, we support customer from markets across air transportation, ports and borders, the armed forces, and critical infrastructure and emergency services.
Smiths Detection is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled. May need to be eligible for a US Security Clearance.