- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience programming in one or more of: C, C , Java, Python, Go, etc.
- Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems internals (e.g. filesystems, system calls), and with networking (e.g. routing, ESDN) or cloud systems.
- Experience analyzing and troubleshooting systems.
About the job
- Experience designing large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience designing and developing software oriented towards systems or network automation.
- Ability to debug, optimize code, and automate routine tasks.
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communication skills and a sense of drive.
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that Google Cloud's services-both our internally critical and our externally-visible systems-have reliability, uptime appropriate to customer's needs and a fast rate of improvement. Additionally SRE's will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance.
Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation. On the SRE team, you'll have the opportunity to manage the complex challenges of scale which are unique to Google Cloud, while using your expertise in coding, algorithms, complexity analysis and large-scale system design. SRE's culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
Access SRE is part of Google Security & Privacy SRE. We manage the services behind Google's BeyondCorp program, the largest global implementation of a Zero Trust network, and services in Google Cloud Platform's regulatory compliance product suite.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible. Responsibilities
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of services, from inception and design, through to deployment, operation and refinement.
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning and launch reviews.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health. Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Develop innovative solutions to ensure efficient SRE processes under regulatory requirements. Bring SRE expertise to the product teams that enforce regulatory requirements.