Levi, Ray & Shoup, Inc. (LRS) needs your technical skills. We’re a global leader in information technology solutions known for innovation, quality, integrity and financial strength. Since our founding in 1979 we have grown and succeeded in diverse technological markets because of the talented people who’ve joined us. Our headquarters is in Springfield, IL, but our business is literally worldwide. We have hundreds of employees working in dozens of locations around the globe, and we value the contributions of every employee. LRS people are known for being honest, self-motivated, and hard working. You can help us reinforce that reputation and be part of our success.
The LRS Enterprise Output Management (EOM) software sales group needs entry level pre-sales Systems Engineers. As an EOM Systems Engineer (ESE), you will provide technical assistance to the EOM sales team in proposing EOM solutions to customers and potential customers. You will also provide technical services to LRS customers who use our Enterprise Output Management product line on Windows, Linux, UNIX, and z/OS mainframe platforms.
Our EOM software products manage the delivery of output to printers, document repositories, e-mail systems, web pages, spreadsheets, etc. After an intensive 24-month training program, you will provide pre-sales support to our marketing representatives who sell this industry-leading software to Fortune 2000 companies. LRS is focused on growth in the distributed systems marketplace providing our solutions to new and existing customers including over 70 percent of the IBM mainframe customers in the USA who use at least one of our software products. Your technical expertise will be vital to our growth plans in this increasingly dynamic area.
You will participate in a two-year training program designed to grow your skills on the IBM zOS platform. The training program includes job shadowing and mentoring from experienced Senior Systems Engineers. Additional training at LRS through on premise classes and exercises, online training and off premise classes will also be provided. Additional training on LRS software running on Windows, UNIX and Linux will also be provided so that you understand the entire EOM software suite.
After completion of the training program, you will be a member of a regional ESE team and support the sales process by attending meetings with prospective customers to identify their technical requirements; provide them with technical product explanations; and provide guidance on how to implement them successfully in their specific environments. You will be responsible for performing product demonstrations at customer sites or using web-conferencing. You will provide proof-of-concept installation services for products at customer sites.
After completion of the training, you will be responsible for developing small programs, typically in VBScript or Perl, to assist customers with the integration of LRS products into their business application environments. You may be asked to prepare and conduct training for customers, either via the web or at a customer’s site. You may present product seminars (single or multi-day events) and participate in other marketing-related events such as tradeshows. You may participate in projects that will assist with the sales process including providing input to technical marketing documents. You may also be asked to analyze competitive products and provide written competitive comparisons.
You will be based in the LRS corporate office in Springfield, IL. After your 24-month training program is complete, you can expect to travel up to 50 percent of the time within your region based on the marketing reps you are supporting. The compensation consists of base salary during the training program. After successful completion of the training program, a bonus plan based on revenue attainment for the region will be added to your compensation. The salary will make up a majority of the total compensation. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Training Program Performance Objectives:
- Within 24 months, have a basic understanding of z/OS including:
- Proficient in TSO (Time Sharing Option) and ISPF (Interactive System Productivity Facility), SDSF (Spool Display and Search Facility) and PDF (Program Development Facility)
- IBM utilities
- Fundamental ability to interpret programs coded in assembler and Rexx.
- Understanding of the three types of z/OS security systems (RACF, ACF2, Top Secret) and the main types of functionality that they provide.
- Line data formatting with carriage control, advanced data streams such as AFP, LCDS, PDF in z/OS.
- Learn the full product/services line: Within 18 months, completely understand the available EOM software products (all platforms) and demonstrate this knowledge through discussions with your manager or other pre-sales staff.
- Use of LRS products/components on z/OS, including: installation, initial setup & security and printer definitions, and 3270/web interfaces
- Basic understanding of document workflows from Batch, ERP, CRM, & EMR applications.
- Maintain records: Provide status updates to your manager about training progress, ongoing projects or product installations.
- Two years’ work experience with large computer systems, Windows administration, networking or 8 semesters of coursework in computer science.
- Coursework including Assembler/Assembly language, mainframe systems, Cobol programming and/or JCL will make you a stronger candidate.
- Experience working on IBM’s z/OS platform will make you a better candidate.
- Communication courses or similar coursework will make you a better candidate.
- Experience writing and/or editing VBScript or Perl is preferred though experience in other programming languages will help.
- Sales experience or jobs involving customer facing responsibilities will make you a better candidate.