The Lead Systems Engineer provides a wide variety of systems administration functions, working closely with other engineers and application teams. Systems administration tasks are conducted in both traditional data centers and in the context of public cloud (AWS): building, maintaining, and refining public cloud infrastructure, and supporting application development on public cloud. Emphasis is also placed on building, maintaining, and refining DevOps continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD) infrastructure upon which development teams build and release software products. This role is responsible for building out public cloud network and server infrastructure (load balancer, firewall, subnetting, security groups, application and database servers, OS and middleware installation and configuration, etc.) and supporting application teams that use it. This role is also responsible for building out DevOps infrastructure and installing, configuring, tuning, and refining DevOps automation tools and products. This role works closely with application teams in understanding their automation requirements, defines the processes, and implements the automation in the DevOps tool sets. This role leads other engineers in ongoing systems administration, technical support, and troubleshooting services to application teams.
- Design, deploy and implement and assume responsibility for delivery of Cloud-based tools and environments
- Participate in the development of Systems Engineering departmental architecture, standards and guidelines.
- Ensure that environments are ready for applications, have correct software and hardware and that all system components are at the anticipated versions; analyze and resolve problems associated with the operating system's servers, hardware, applications, and software.
- Build out, network, and configure IT infrastructure (e.g., load balancers, firewall, subnetting, security groups, application and database servers, OS installation and configuration, etc.)
- Install, configure, support, and maintain servers and middleware (e.g., JBOSS, Apache, Tomcat, Windows Server, IIS, etc.)
- Build and configure a wide variety of AWS traditional and serverless services
- Install, configure, support, and maintain DevOps tool sets (e.g., Jira, Confluence, Gitlab, Jenkins, Artifactory, Maven, SonarQube, Liquibase, etc.)
- Assist software development teams in defining their DevOps CI/CD pipeline and processes and implement and configure the DevOps tools for them.
- Tune, refine, and upgrade the DevOps pipeline to increase automation and features.
- Use scripting and automation tools to enhance release and infrastructure automation and maintenance (Ansible, Chef, CloudFormation Unix Shell, Python, Powershell, etc.)
- Work closely with application teams following Agile methods and principles.
- Contribute and collaborate to design, document, and publish Engineering standards, principles, guidelines and best practices.
- Seek opportunities to increase efficiency through research and investigation, application team input, automation options, POCs, etc.
- Provide leadership and direction in developing standards and automation practices, and contribute in strategic planning across the Engineering department and other areas of IT.
- Adhere to ethical standards and comply with the laws and regulations applicable to the job function
Experience and Skills
Education, Certifications, or Special Licenses:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities have been acquired.
Relevant Years of Experience Required:
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience as a Systems Engineer in mid to large-sized organizations.
- Demonstrated experience determining technology needs
- Ability to analyze new technology and make technology recommendations
- Effective use of project planning tools and techniques
- Prior experience working with and managing technology suppliers
- Strong communication skills to interact across business units and with multiple employee levels