As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will enable the Test and Launch Engineering team to effectively design, build and activate facilities to support various spaceflight systems. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of the design of facilities used to test rocket engines and their components, and launch space vehicles. You will work with internal customers to identify needs, schedules, and requirements. You will develop those requirements into conceptual designs, and follow through with the validating and verifying requirements for the detailed design. You will work with the design team to refine the design process to make it stay efficient and effective. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Work with customers and test sites to create interface definition and design requirements for new test facilities and for changes to existing facilities.
- Contribute technical detail while fostering system-level connections.
- Carry out systems engineering activities in accordance with standard practices, tailoring them where appropriate.
- Track, evaluate and report on system metrics.
- Take early ideas for testing needs and rapidly (1-4 weeks) develop them into actionable plans. Be responsible for defining system requirements. Pull together a small team of mechanical design engineers to develop the concept and cost, schedule and personnel resources to make the testing happen. Write a clear and concise document that communicates the path to test.
- Participate in gated design and activation reviews.
- Perform trade studies to evaluate design options.
- Develop and refine the design-engineering processes; creating and maintaining associated analysis tools and templates.
- Effectively communicate status, risks, and opportunities.
- Up to 10% travel at times
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in appropriate engineering field, systems engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of engineering design or systems engineering
- Exhibit excellent judgement and be comfortable making high-quality and high-velocity decisions
- Ability to work effectively in teams
- Exhibit excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exhibit ability to adapt and excel in changing, growing environment
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Experience designing facilities with high-pressure gas and cryogenic fluid systems, from conceptual design through activation; successfully meeting cost and schedule targets.
- Knowledge of ASME B31 and B31.3
- Knowledge of standard components, installation and fabrication methods of piping systems (pipe stock, fittings, connections, valves, fasteners, structural members, fitting, welding, etc.)
- Knowledge of fluid components typical in tubing and piping systems (valves, regulators, pumps, etc.)
- Experience with one-or-more requirement management tools (e.g. DOORS, DOORS NG, Jama, Innoslate, Integrity, etc.)
- Familiarity with version control (e.g. Git/Gitlab, Subversion, Windchill)
- Experience with collaboration tools such as Confluence and JIRA
- Experience with proposal development