The Systems Engineer/IP Engineer is a professional-level job providing engineering and technical support to establish and maintain optimal performance of the Company's IP-based voice and data products and associated systems, to include supporting and administering routers, switches, servers, and related technologies; and monitoring, analyzing and correcting performance, as necessary, to ensure compliance with service level agreements.
The Systems Engineer will ensure the stability, integrity and performance of voice, data, and wireless data based services and the IP/MPLS network core. This will be achieved through participating in the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, troubleshooting and optimization of all LANs, WANs, network security services, communication links and associated hardware and software. As a member of a team that provides 24 x 7 x 365 operational infrastructure support, the Systems Engineer must be willing and capable of performing complex hands-on network provisioning and management activities. This role demands solid technical grounding as well as excellent organizational skills and discipline in order to effectively and efficiently maintain focus while successfully managing multiple parallel projects and activities.
Systems Engineer I
Able to work independently in the following areas:
Install new hardware, systems, and software for network and system infrastructure.
Install, configure, and maintain network services, equipment and devices for core and/or customer solutions.
Support administration of servers and server clusters.
Manage all system backups and restoration protocols.
Plan and support network and computing infrastructure.
Perform troubleshooting analysis of network and system infrastructure and associated systems.
Document network problems and·their resolutions for future reference.
Monitor system performance and implement performance tuning.
Manage user accounts, permissions, email, anti-virus, anti-spam.
Oversee software and network security.
Provide training instruction on platforms, equipment and related applications.
Perform other duties as assigned.
College diploma in the field of computer science, computer information systems, or computer engineering. Relevant experience could be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis plus 3 years of experience leading to the ability to work independently in the following areas:
* information processing principles, practices and demonstrated ingenuity in performing troubleshooting and root cause analysis of complex cross-functional problems.
* fundamental IP, routing and switching concepts.
* system administration.
* Familiarity with a broad cross section of IP based systems and networking technologies.
* ordering, provisioning, turn up and troubleshooting of telecommunications circuits from CPE access lines to enterprise and core class lines (Metro-E, DS-3, OC-x etc.)
* theoretical knowledge and extensive.hands on experience configuring,troubleshooting, optimizing and managing a relevant mix of following software, hardware, protocols and technologies:
o Core and enterprise-class routers, switches, network security appliances, WAN accelerators, and intelligent port aggregators and taps.
o Access technologies, including·dial, xDSL, TDM and carrier Ethernet.
o MPLS .
o VPN and firewall technologies.
o Wireless data network technologies and infrastructure.
o Network services and user ma·nagement applications (i.e. DNS, LDAP, email, RADIUS, etc.).
* Extensive experience with scriptirig and automating execution of configuration and data collection tasks, utilizing tools (Exped,RANCID, SNMP, etc.), shells (Bourne, bash, etc.)