The Systems Engineer is responsible for designing and coordinating the installation, configuration, monitoring, maintenance, and management of various multi-vendor enterprise server, storage, and datacenter systems, as well as enterprise applications in support of Elliot Health System's complex IT infrastructure.
Core Performance Competencies:
- a. Elliot Essentials:
i. Demonstrates Elliot Essentials (I CARE): Innovation, Inspiration, collaboration, accountability, respect, ethics & integrity
ii. Demonstrates Elliot Essentials (I SERVE): Introduce, smile, engage, respect, verify & exceed expectations
iii. Demonstrates Elliot Essentials (I INSPIRE): Interactions, innovation, nurture, share, present, imperatives, respect & empower
- b. Communicates in a professional, respectful manner
- c. Uses time and material resources effectively and contributes to expense reduction
- d. Exemplifies a professional role model, coaches and mentors others
- e. Holds self and others accountable
- f. Attendance is in compliance of policy (<5 days)
- g. Collaborates with peers; Supports new ideas & offers solutions
- h. Adheres to all enterprise wide and departmental policies and procedures
- i. Compliance with timekeeping
- j. Understands, contributes and supports the organizational and department specific goals and strategic imperatives
- k. Attends staff meetings
- l. Participates in special projects, teams, outside courses, cross training, committees
Key Responsibilities / Essential Functions:
- 1. Designs and coordinates the configuration, installation, and maintenance of various physical and virtual server hardware and operating systems.
- 2. Designs and coordinates the configuration, installation, and maintenance of various database management systems. This includes but is not limited to MSSQL and Cache.
- 3. Designs and coordinates the configuration, installation, and maintenance of server monitoring and management systems.
- 4. Designs and coordinates the configuration, installation, and maintenance of enterprise backup and recovery systems, including applicable client/server software and hardware.
- 5. Designs, configures, maintains, and installs or supervises installation of enterprise storage systems, including SAN, NAS, and storage networking and connectivity systems.
- 6. Designs, configures, maintains, and installs or supervises installation of enterprise backup and recovery systems.
- 7. Follows established standardization and quality guidelines regarding the installation of assigned systems and cabling.
- 8. Coordinates with appropriate departmental and organizational resources to installs and maintain clinical and line of business applications for assigned systems.
- 9. Maintains an accurate inventory of assigned hardware and devices.
- 10. Maintains appropriate physical security for assigned systems, in accordance with HIPAA and other regulatory guidelines.
- 11. Maintains proper documentation for all assigned hardware and systems. All documentation must be stored logically where it is readily accessible to the rest of the technical team. Documentation should also be consistent with currently effective guidelines.
- 12. Utilizes current IT Help Desk software to ensure end user and/or infrastructure generated incidents (tickets) are logged, dispatched, escalated, and resolved efficiently to minimize user and system downtime. Maintains accurate service request records for reporting purposes.
- 13. Follows established guidelines for system change control and system event reporting. Implements approved changes based on priority and updates relevant documentation, when applicable.
- 14. Supports the IT department and other hospital departments during system upgrades and go-live events.
- 15. Provides technical support to IT staff and end-users for all assigned system and infrastructure related issues.
- 16. Fully monitors and maintains system backups for all assigned hardware and systems. Maintains accurate documentation as it relates to how systems are backed up.
- 17. Regularly identifies improvements and enhancements to assigned systems. Also maintains an annual strategic plan for each assigned system to ensure continuous optimizations and improvements.
- 18. Maintains assigned hardware and systems to current suitable versions and plans, recommends, and implements upgrades as necessary.
- 19. Establishes and maintains professional working relationships with vendors and partners to ensure assigned systems and hardware operate reliably throughout their designated lifecycle.
- 20. Creates and maintains standard procedures for the installation, configuration, and management of assigned systems.
- 21. Provides effective guidance and mentoring of other systems staff, ensuring accepted practices and procedures are adhered to.
- 22. Regularly communicates project status with applicable project managers, coworkers, and IT leadership. Provides status reports on a regular basis to supervisor and IT leadership through Information Systems Project Management Software.
- 23. Contributes to the annual capital and operating budgets related to the maintenance and lifecycle management of the overall server and storage infrastructure.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 1. Exceptional working knowledge of current server, storage, and datacenter infrastructure.
- 2. Demonstrated experience of scripting technologies including FTP, PowerShell, Visual Basic, etc.
- 3. Demonstrated experience supporting and managing server operating systems, including Linux and Windows.
- 4. Demonstrated experience supporting and managing virtualization technologies including VMware.
- 5. Demonstrated experience supporting and managing enterprise data storage systems, including NAS, SAN, Fiber Channel, etc.
- 6. Demonstrated experience supporting and managing two or more currently deployed database management systems, including MSSQL, Cache, etc.
- 7. Experience supporting and managing two or more enterprise healthcare systems including EPIC, Lawson, etc. (preferred).
- 8. Good verbal and written communication skills.
- 9. Good prioritization and decision making ability.
- 10. Ability to operate in a fast paced and stressful work environment.
- 11. Ability to work after hours as needed to support upgrades, go-live events, etc.
- 12. Ability to take part in on-call rotation schedule.
Qualifications - Education / Experience / Licensure:
- 1. Education: BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination or education and experience (required).
- 2. Experience: 8 years' experience in Information Technology or comparable field; 5 years' direct experience with current & relevant server, storage, and datacenter technologies (required).
- 3. Certification / Licensure: One or more IT industry standard certifications, Epic Cache System Manager, MCSE, VCP, etc. (preferred).