Req #: 9404
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
- Design, build, and test electro/mechanical lab systems
- Execute designed lab experiments focused on measurement system development
- Provides accurate estimates of the time required to complete assigned work
- Prepare and present technical designs to internal and external groups
- Design equipment using both AutoCAD or Solidworks software
- Procure material and process equipment using Corning Incorporated approved processes
- Communicates and instructs field or vendor personnel on the proper installation or assembly procedures
Travel Requirements: Some domestic and international travel, based on project requirements: up to 25%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40 hours per week
Required Education: minimum 2 year technical degree, with preference to Electrical Engineering or Electronic Technology. Master’s degree preferred
Required Years of Experience: 5 years’ experience minimum in design or manufacturing environments (with Master’s). 15+ years’ experience for technical degree.
- Experience with specialized tools and measurement instruments for mechanical, electrical, and optical systems building and debugging
- Competently able to build and test equipment that involvesAbility to select and specify commercial standard electrical or mechanical parts
- Mechanical systems
- Precision motion
- Electrical cabinet wiring
- Programming experience in:Proficient in design tools: AutoCAD or Solidworks
- Motion drives
- Microsoft Visual Studio (C# or Visual Basic)
- Ability to manage, prioritize, and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a diverse technical and non-technical audience, including non-native English speakers.
- Ability to work effectively in a small team: be cooperative, flexible, and respectful, communicate constructively, show commitment, and work toward a common goal.
- Experience with assembling high tolerance mechanical assemblies
- Metrology system calibration
- Laser experience:Able to write clear documentation of equipment including SOPs and machine specifications
- Knowledgeable and trained in Laser safety
- Assemble laser test bench systems
- Experienced with designing manufacturing ready metrology systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Independence and the ability to apply critical thinking to complete challenging problems
- Be effective in working across diverse functional groups including research, engineering, operations, and maintenance and in a heavily matrixed environment
- Technical curiosity and eagerness to apply an energetic, positive approach to working on challenging problems
- Graciously provides and receives constructive feedback