About Core Services
The Core Services Group is approximately 85 engineers working across the globe. The organization drives the heart of the Grubhub Platform - everything from building your order, checking out, and shepherding your order through our fulfillment process. In addition, the Core Services Group frequently engages in high-visibility strategic projects, internally known as initiatives, that span the Grubhub platform. For us time to market and architecture of high-performance, self-healing systems is everything.
About the Role
At Grubhub, we’re continually looking to improve and reinvent. We always ask ourselves “If we were to build this system today, how would it work?” You are expected to make suggestions around ideal systems design, resiliency, and speak to pros and cons around design decisions. You should understand when, why, and how to choose a queuing system and what the impact of doing so is on failure modes. You should have a similar interest in the details around our business and users such that you can make educated decisions and recommendations on our products. These skills will be complemented by your well-honed communications skills and ability to navigate complex topics with a crisp and clear focus.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Partner with software teams to understand & analyze some of the most interesting aspects of the Grubhub platform:
- Payment Processing. How do we process various payment instruments in a manner that is tolerant to payment processors being unavailable?
- Fraud Assessment. Is the order being paid for by a compromised credit card?
- Restaurant Health. Is this order destined for a restaurant that closed unexpectedly?
- Logistics Health. Is there a snowstorm preventing drivers from delivering food in a timely manner?
- Partner with our product engineers to understand the vision and how we define success. Use this knowledge to make informed design decisions in a manner conducive to evolution.
- Dig into our data-warehouse to make empirical decisions and question assumptions.
- Model current system and data-flow. Partner with software engineering to model future flows. Suggest areas for improved instrumentation and data visibility.
- Understand techniques to integrate systems engineering within an Agile software team. Use this information to suggest appropriate artifacts given project needs.
- Use your top notch communication skills to communicate with our team, as well as business stakeholders, in small and large settings.
You Should Have
- 3+ years of professional Systems Engineering experience, or experience in similar areas (such as enterprise architecting, technical product management, or modeling and simulation). Experience working with INCOSE is a plus!
- You genuinely thrive in highly-collaborative environments. A critical aspect of this role is the ability to partner with software engineering teams and product teams to yield the best possible results.
- Understanding of distributed systems and complexities within an e-commerce platform operating at high-scale.
- Experience and proficiency in SQL.
- BA/BS in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Economics, Statistics or other technical field or an MS in quantitative discipline (Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical field etc) or equivalent experience.
- Nice to have: prior experience designing software-intensive systems or writing software in a modern language (Java, C#, Python, etc.)