This role will be responsible for applying fundamental engineering principles, procedures and techniques to perform systems engineering assignments related to the development of electronic and software intensive systems and subsystems for Cubic Mission Solutions, Secured Networking business area. Working closely with other engineering disciplines to ensure inter-disciplinary communication and coordination, while providing technical guidance. This position typically works under general supervision and direction.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conceptualize, design, implement and document test plans for products and systems based on customer/contract requirements.
- Research design concepts and feasibility utilizing advanced technical theory and knowledge.
- Coordinate and develop project concepts, objectives, specifications and resource needs.
- Develop system architectures that relates to requirements and interfaces so that effectiveness of system design concept is clearly communicated to customer.
- Perform system requirement analysis and review system and subsystem design and interface specifications.
- Provide technical direction and support to other engineers and production technicians.
- Participate or lead both internal and external design reviews and status meetings.
- Perform system modeling and simulation, trade studies and system functional analyses.
- Operate environmental test equipment to include but not limited to (temperature chamber, shock and vibration table, altitude chamber, humidity chamber, power load tester (PoE and DC), etc…
- Create and update functional and environmental test reports.
- Work closely with other engineering disciplines to ensure coordination and integration of system elements and interface requirements, both internally and with teammates/subcontractors.
- Maintain knowledge of and follows applicable policies and procedures governing work assignments.
- Assist in the development of training material.
- Comply with Cubic’s values and adherence to all company policy and procedures. In particular comply with the code of conduct, quality, security and occupational health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the job holder is required to perform other duties assigned by their manager from time-to-time, as may be reasonably required of them.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- BS in computer science or Information Technology or equivalent professional experience
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in the Information Technology and Internet Protocol (IP) networking areas
- Experience and certifications in Cisco, VMware, Linux and Microsoft
- Knowledge of Cisco routers, switches, firewalls and overall IP networking technology
- Ability to load, configure and implement virtual machines in a VMware environment along with other hypervisors
- Ability to test and document new products and clearly communicate design improvements.
- Aptitude to operate environmental test equipment
- Technical proficiency in the following areas:
- Basic electrical engineering background
- Understand low level computer concepts (BIOS programming, ethernet controllers, etc…)
- Linux and VMware
- TCP/IP, fiber optic, cellular (3G/4G/LTE), and serial networks
- WAN optimization (SCPS-TP, Compression, Data Caching, etc.)
- Network routing (BGP, OSPF, RIP, GRE, IPv4, IPv6, etc.)
- Familiar with networking products from companies such as Cisco, Juniper, Aruba
- Satellite carriers such as Inmarsat, Thuraya, Intelsat, or similar; and their service providers
- MANET/MESH products and networks
- Radio Over IP (RoIP)
- Voice Over IP (VoIP)
- IP Call Managers (CISCO, Asterisk, FreePBX, etc)
- Video transport (MPEG2, RTP, H.264)
- Transport security (IPSec, Suite B, Type-1 cryptographic equipment, CSfC)
- SIP media servers (e.g. Motorola Solutions’ Wave)
- Analogue voice (FXO, FXS)
- Digital voice (E1/T1 PRI)
- Secure telephony (STE, STU)
- Edge networking equipment such as hand-held radios or VoIP devices
- Protocol analyzers and test equipment (Wireshark, Iperf, Spirent, etc)
- Certifications such as Cisco CCNA, CCNP in Route and Switch, Security and IP telephony desired.
- Knowledge of deployed communications and telecommunications such as SATCOM, 3G/4G LTE, MANET/MESH and fibre.
- Military communications experiencedesired but not required
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently and with a team supporting various customers at both the executive and technical engineer level; supporting pre, during and post sales environments.
- Currently holding Security Clearance (SC) or Developed Vetting (DV) status beneficial, but not essential. Must be prepared to undergo clearance if not currently held.