Job Location: Madison, WI Work Hours (i.e. 9-5):
Hours Per Week:
SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER
Give hope. Give health. Make your mark in the fight against cancer.
At Accuray, we make a direct and powerful impact on the lives of cancer patients every day — helping them live longer, better lives. But our commitment to innovation offers a truly unique opportunity: the chance to change the fight against cancer — helping to develop, introduce and support new treatment delivery systems and software that will give new hope and new health to cancer patients and cancer survivors around the world.
OUR VISION AND MISSION is to work passionately to create a future without the fear, pain or human suffering of cancer. We pursue this by developing precise, innovative tumor treatment solutions that empower clinicians and help cancer patients live longer, better lives.
Accuray develops, manufactures and sells radiotherapy systems that make cancer treatments shorter, safer, personalized and more effective, ultimately enabling patients to live longer, better lives. Our radiation treatment delivery systems in combination with fully-integrated software solutions set the industry standard for precision and cover the full range of radiation therapy and radiosurgery procedures.
Senior Systems Engineers analyze, design, develops and tests medical device systems to ensure the integration of hardware, software, reliability, regulatory compliance, and safety requirements. We are looking for a Senior Systems Engineer who will serve as a contributing member of the Systems Engineering group responsible for the design and development of not only the overall radiation delivery system of the product, but also the subsystems which comprise it. Subsystems include:
- Control systems
- Electrical power conditioning and distribution
- High Voltage pulsed power
- S-band microwave power generation and transmission
- High energy X-ray generation and collimation
- Radiation detection and monitoring
- Kilovoltage imaging
- Data acquisition and signal processing
- Closed-loop water system for temperature control
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand the point of view of the user (including End User, Marketing, Service, Regulatory, Quality Control, Manufacturing, Service, etc.) and ensure that they are properly regarded throughout the program
- Collaborate with hardware and software engineers, subsystem owners, Marketing, Medical Physics, and Clinical Applications in defining and documenting system design, operational scenarios and workflows
- Establish and manage key technical performance measures of the system architecture
- Perform trade studies and conduct decision analysis review to ensure balanced designs
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams on Design-for-X to ensure system is optimally designed
- Identify, analyze, and document requirements for User Requirements Specification (URS) and System Requirements Specification (SyRS) and allocate to the lower level system elements
- Create and document the functional architecture that identifies system functions and their interactions.
- Partition, budget, and model system behavior including simulation analysis and operational modeling
- Understand and interpret the various applicable regulatory requirements and standards for image-guided radiation therapy and intensity modulated radiation therapy
- Collaborate with subsystem owners to develop system test strategies and methods to support Verification & Validation (V&V), Manufacturing, and Service
- Facilitate resolution of critical system level issues across the project
- Collaborate with hardware and software engineers and subsystem owners to define and analyze interfaces between system elements (both internal & external environments)
- Lead system integration project tasks
- Support engineering risk management activities, program and operational process improvements
- Support project planning, scheduling, cost estimating, etc.
- Research sub-system function and design, generate sub-system procurement/performance specifications, and Generate/ execute sub-system qualification tests
- Reviewing internal and external user documentation, and expert-level troubleshooting to resolve internal and external user issues with the radiation delivery system
- Tasks and priorities are project-driven and may be individual or cross-functional
- Infrequently, travel may be required, including technical visits to key vendors or support visits to customer sites
- Preferred or Desired
- An advanced technical degree is a plus. Suitable work experience in a technically related field may be considered in lieu of formal education.
- Proficient requirement management skills, including IBM DOORS.
- Experience in system modeling is a plus.
- Experience with advanced computer data analysis software is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Physics and at least 7 years of design and development in a highly-regulated industry.
- Knowledge of systems, hardware, and software engineering processes for the development of complex systems including System and Software Architecture, System Analysis, System Integration and Test, and Requirements Management.
- Working level knowledge of system and interface specifications
- Demonstrated ability to work in a technology development environment as it relates to project management, problem management, and change management.
- Basic understanding of control systems, electronics, and computer networks.
- Hands-on experience with electronic test equipment, as well as some familiarity with shop machinery that may be utilized to fabricate prototype components.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills, including standard office software.
- A motivated, organized, and collaborative work style
At Accuray Our commitment to patient-first outcomes drives an inclusive and collaborative work environment where the best ideas rise to the top — and everyone works to push them further. We value diversity in both the professional and personal backgrounds of our employees, as this variety adds rich energy to every team, every project and every work day. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.