Do you want to build the backbone of AWS? Do want to build the future of the cloud? You are intrigued by the continuous release of newer AWS services and instance types that solve newer, bigger and more interesting business problems every day? Does that make you wish your talents were applied to those at cloud scale? If yes, then come join us - we are looking for builders like you.
The AWS Hardware Engineering team creates server designs for Amazon's innovative web services. Our designs are industry-leading in frugality and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS business and millions of customers who use AWS today. Our engineers solve challenging technology problems, and build architecturally sound, high-quality components to enable AWS to realize critical business strategies.
The ideal candidate for this role will be an innovative self-starter. You are knowledgeable of the full technical stack - vertically from baremetal server hardware up to the software in userland, and everything in the middle. You have tremendous interest in cloud scale and curious how systems and software decisions impact the user. You insist on highest-standards and are able to develop tactical solutions/tools to diagnose and fix issues. You are an excellent systems debugger - finding interaction issues between components on server systems. You are a leader with strong organizational, planning, and communication skills. You are a builder!
What you will do
You will be a member of a team designing AWS-specific hardware and software. You will contribute towards AWS server design velocity, operations, resilience, quality and safety. You will be a part of the development effort from conception through production. You will gain a strong understanding of our server stack, and build tools to analyze and diagnose it in its current and future context. You will use comprehensive knowledge of hardware systems, OS, and the software stack to find the best solutions to multi-factor problems. - improving processes and advocate of operational excellence. You will focus on the durability, security, availability and scalability of systems without impacting customer experience. You'll use knowledge of the server system, it's sub-systems, discrete components and their interactions, and build re-usable diagnostics tools to surface issues and remediate them. Your contributions will improve product by delivering tactical solutions at velocity and enabling other builders to utilize learnings to build strategic solutions at scale. You will collaborate with engineers across the company in architecture, hardware, validation, firmware, and software services.
AWS Engineers are shaping the way people use computers and designing the future of cloud computing technology - come help us make history!
Why it matters
Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The scale of AWS, combined with an understanding of how our software and hardware is used, creates a unique opportunity for component customizations that will directly benefit our customers.
Why you will love it
You will work with engineers across the company for delivering the next-generation AWS platforms. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver improvements for AWS. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You will have ownership for the implementation of your work. You will see direct product improvements based on the results of your work.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other technical degree, or relevant work experience
• 3-5+ years or more in software development, systems development, SRE (Site Reliability Engineering), or Resilience Engineering
• 3-5+ years scripting experience in Python, Shell/BASH scripting, or other common system maintenance languages.
• 3-5+ years of SysDE (Systems Development Engineer) or equivalent experience
• 3-5+ years of server systems debug experience.
• 3-5+ years of experience debugging and root causing complex server platform
• 3-5+ years of experience contributing towards increasing durability, security, availability and scalability of systems through exploration, diagnosis and remediation
• Comfortable debugging and building tools in Linux environment
• System thinking - ability to diagnose interactions between discrete components of server system and drive product improvements.
• A strong understanding of OS internals, including network and storage subsystems
• Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field
• Experience with modern technology devices in storage, network, memory as well as a variety of interface standards and protocols (PCIe, SATA, SAS, NVMe)
• Experience with validation of hardware, software, firmware and drivers and implementing test plans.
• Strong Linux knowledge
• Experience with x86 architecture, as well as ARM, and GPU/ FPGA devices
• Experience with server validation, testing, issue root causing and coverage analysis.
• Excellent knowledge diagnostics tools development with Python, Go, or C/C++ in fast paced environment.
• Able to work in a diverse team
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to collaborate
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Valid through: 11/14/2021