PPD is a leading global contract research organization. At PPD we are passionate, deliberate, and driven by our purpose - to improve health.
PPD Laboratories offers the most comprehensive set of laboratory services available in the industry and continues to deliver innovative solutions to our clients through our collaborative approach, including PPD® Laboratories FSP. PPD® Laboratories FSP is a unique partnership that allows our clients to leverage the experience of our PPD staff, while allowing you, the employee, to gain direct experience working onsite at a pharmaceutical/ biopharmaceutical company, all while maintaining full-time benefits/advantages of being a part of PPD.
This position is responsible for providing technical support in the development and maintenance of various QC lab systems user workflows to support various site manufacturing, stability, method transfer and non routing testing activities to ensure compliance with procedures, methods, specifications, sampling plans, and data reporting requirements for raw material, water, microbial, biologics drug substance and/or biologics drug product testing. This requires partnering with all levels of laboratory personnel, Information Technology, analytical support teams, and Quality Assurance to ensure processes are designed and maintained for lab systems to meet business and agency requirements with operational efficiency in mind.
- Create and maintain lab systems by executing the appropriate change management process to support laboratory testing activities and to ensure business, project and/or investigation/CAPA timelines are met.
- Support review of change controls associated with lab systems, identify system impact, and develop appropriate change actions required to support implementation of the change, including impact to interfacing systems.
- Execute and document appropriate change control and/or verify changes executed by a team member are accurate associated within the lab system.
- Review method/specification changes and work with appropriate SMEs to assess impact to lab systems data set up
- Test changes/enhancements through dry runs and receive feedback from lab users, when required.
- Setup verification testing as appropriate for the lab system.
- Execute User Acceptance Testing for system functionality changes.
- Communicate impact of lab system changes to integrated systems areas (i.e. trending system, MES, etc).
- Collaborate/liase with appropriate laboratory, manufacturing, analytical support and/or site/global IT teams to ensure needs and requirements are accurate in the lab systems.
- Evaluate, recommend and implement processes to improve compliance and the efficiency of laboratory testing operations (i.e. visibility to testing queues, testing metrics monitoring, etc.) to support product release, new products, and key performance indicators/lean lab metrics.
- Contribute to the development/maintenance of processes for effective communication/visual dashboards for lab system work in progress and tracking team metrics.
- Assist with compiling/tracking team metrics.
- Author, revise, and/or review procedural documents, such as SOPs and WIs and contribute to the development of associated training content.
- Train users and less experienced staff on use of lab systems.
- Provide ad hoc support to users for issues/questions on the lab system.
- Communicate technical issues and activity status updates to team members/direct management.
- Process user account requests for system access.
- Maintain up to date knowledge on lab system functionality and apply functionality to improve system use and ensure efficient user experience within the systems.
- Participate on/Lead teams in support of business process improvements/operational excellence.
- Assist with management of the day to day activities and prioritization of work, as business needs require.
- Present information at group/department meetings.
- Provide support for internal compliance and regulatory agency inspections as required
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree or equivalent and relevant formal academic / vocational qualificationPrevious experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 2+ years’) or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge and in depth understanding of analytical techniques preferred.
- Proficient knowledge of a lab system such as Empower Custom Field and Report development, Biovia LES Method Builder, LIMS Static Data, MODA, CIMS, etc., understanding of system interfaces and impact of changes to each other.
- Proficient/Advanced knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Office Applications (Access, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams, Word) and/or other relevant software programs.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to complete assignments within defined time constraints.
- Ability to execute changes in the lab system independently, proactively identify problems, troubleshoot issues, and develop potential solutions.
- Respond to system issues and troubleshoot to identify cause.
- Ability to interpret and apply cGMPs, regulatory requirements, and industry best practices.
- Ability to exercises judgment and makes sound decisions within broadly defined practices and policies. Apply appropriate notification to management as appropriate.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively train and assist other less experienced individuals
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize objectives from multiple projects; adhere to scheduled timelines while maintaining flexibility, independently or as part of a team. Self-directed with a high degree of professional integrity, very organized, and detail-oriented.
- Demonstrated problem solving ability, attention to detail, and analytical thinking skills.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills are essential. Must contribute to a team based, collaborative and positive environment, clarity of purpose and high commitment to business goals.
- Ability to work on multiple complex projects where independent action and a high degree of initiative are required in resolving problems and developing recommendations.
- This position may require ~10% travel
- Client focused approach with strong interpersonal skills
- Must be able to multitask and pay close attention to detail
PPD values the health and wellbeing of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
• Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
• Able to work upright and stationary for typical working hours.
• Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
• Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
• This role requires independent travel up to XX%, inclusive of traveling in automobiles, airplanes, and trains.
PPD is proud to be an affirmative action employer that values diversity as a strength and fosters an environment of mutual respect. PPD is committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, pregnancy, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or status within any other protected group