The System Design Engineer plays a central role throughout the different phases of the product life cycle. This position is part of a team responsible for developing and supporting next generation Critical Dimension (CD) metrology systems as well as supporting and improving current systems. The candidate will have a lead role in next generation product development, from technology evaluation and selection, specifications development, product validation, verification, transfer to manufacturing, and support of customer ramp. Responsibilities will include planning and leading experiments and trade-off studies required to make major architecture decisions on complex systems. The candidate will be responsible for top level system specifications and flow down to subsystem and component level specifications, system error budgets, interface definition, calibrations, and diagnostics. The candidate must be effective at leading a team of engineers to achieve program goals.
The Design Engineer will maintain ownership of the product performance through the life cycle and be responsible for improvement projects and support of field and manufacturing issues. The engineer must be able to complete the initial diagnosis of any system issue, uncover root cause and devise solutions for complex problems. Must have the knowledge and experience to effectively work with experts in optics, electronics, mechanics, software, and algorithms as required to resolve issues. Some travel may be required to support product transition to manufacturing, beta support at customer sites, and for complex escalations that require onsite support.
Additional details regarding responsibilities:
- Develop and/or provide significant input to the top level system specifications, system error budget, interfaces and working parameters for the optimal hardware/software solution.
- Plan and lead experiments and conduct trade-off studies required to make major architecture decisions on complex systems.
- Lead and authorize most aspects of the design for any outsourced complex subsystem, including vendor selection, NRE spending, specification writing, design reviews with the vendor, build, test, acceptance and successful integration into a system.
- Coach design engineers at all levels and across cultures and influence the design to meet program goals.
- Develop and evaluate concepts and designs for the next generation systems.
- Resolve inconsistencies between subsystems, conduct trade-off studies, identify high-risk areas, and develop risk mitigation strategies.
- Own creation and execution of prototype test plans for entire system and complex subsystems. This will involve integration of subsystems, testing against design tolerances and marketing specifications, analyzing test data, and generation of reports.
- Drive product or feature introduction. This includes preparation of first draft of system alignment, calibration and troubleshooting diagnostics for existing and new products, training of operations and field personnel, and solving technical issues that may impact product introduction.
- Drive team to resolve system issues at customer site or in manufacturing. Work with engineers at locations around the globe to solve issues escalated to engineering: establish root cause, develop plan of action (POA), guide local teams in execution of POA, and document issues and solutions to improve design and/or procedures so that they may be implemented across the fleet in a standard manner.
- Will require some travel (< 25%).
- PhD in Physics, Optics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related technical field.
- Strong background in engineering or the physical sciences with demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills..
- Experience developing metrology for the semiconductor capital equipment or other manufacturing industries.
- Hands-on experience constructing and aligning opto-mechanical systems
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret complex system data and develop solutions that optimize subsystem performance.
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the division, customers, vendors and across cultures.
- Project management skills (scoping, budgeting, and scheduling).
Doctorate (Academic) with at least 2 years of experience.OR
Master's Level Degree with at least 4 years of experience.OR
Bachelor's Level Degree with at least 5 years of experience.