As a member of the professional staff, contributes a high level of specialized knowledge and skill in a discipline (e.g. Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Information Resources, Operations Planning & Support, Sales & Marketing) area to support department and/or function objectives. Generally works with considerable independence, developing operating plans and related operational processes for own department in alignment with broader business objectives.
Specific Job Summary
This position performs a technical consultant and lead role over all Java applications and integration technologies. This position provides leadership and technical direction for development resources on standards and procedures and provide guidelines for development methodologies and code quality. This position works closely with 3rd party resources for projects and for support to ensure all code is delivered in accordance with MVW standards and quality expectations.
This position also it functions as a technical specialist on assignments and leads and participates in the installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of various applications / technologies. In addition, this position provides architecture requirements and best practices for Java and integration technologies and works closely with EA, application architecture and delivery and AMS teams.
- No direct reports.
- Influences and consults with senior leadership and project teams.
- Train/mentor development and delivery resources.
- Provides guidance for software quality and development processes and procedures to promote software quality.
- Recommends standards that are consistent with the company direction.
- Provides advanced support (level 4) during production incidents if needed to reduce the outage and trains other staff on troubleshooting and incident resolution.
- Provides detailed technical feedback during projects to avoid issues in the future and continuously improve software delivery.
- Provides technical support (when needed) inside of existing development teams to fill gaps in leadership, increase quality, or increase productivity as needed.
- Provides guidance for new technology selection. This includes research and piloting working examples of new technology tools or software.
- Consults with Application Architecture on designs and enterprise architecture direction and the impact of these on Application Development.
- Creates application detailed designs and provides input on design patterns. Reviews and works with development staff on detailed application designs. Ability to be hands-on and develop code, if necessary. Provides guidance and sets standards to application designs.
- Provides technical leadership on projects and new development efforts.
- Develops operating plans and workable business processes for own department in alignment with function strategy.
- Manages larger business processes and/or projects, setting priorities and measurable objectives, monitoring and reporting on the process, progress and results.
- Responds to, solves and makes decisions on business requests that have broader department impact and/or moderate risk. Presents alternative solutions to business issues by leveraging the broader organization.
- Responsible for own work and contributing to team, department and/or business results. May direct work of non-management staff. Typically influences work of cross-functional or extended teams.
- Assists more senior associates in achieving business results by:
- acting in a consultative fashion to implement programs impacting the broader organization.
- assisting in the development and communication of broader organizational goals.
- achieving results against budget within scope of responsibility.
- taking calculated risks to move the department or team forward.
- developing and using systems to organize and keep track of information.
- balancing the interests of own group with the interests of the organization.
- working with others to identify and remove barriers to success.
- Readily critiques own behavior to acknowledge mistakes and improve future leadership performance and acts independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Performs other duties as appropriate.
Specific Expected Contributions
- Functions as an applications expert and futurist for both senior leadership and project teams in effective utilization of existing technology in business technical applications, either enterprise-wise or business-wide.
- Provides technical leadership to application development teams and project teams for best practices, software quality and overall development processes and standards. Helps build and implement best practices, guidelines / frameworks.
- Provides technical leadership for application teams to improve quality and increase productivity.
- Creates application designs and works with both architecture and other development staff on designs and impact of designs on applications.
- Performs and/or oversees and administers code reviews for various applications for projects, enhancements and maintenance
- Researches and implements tools and best practices for application development to improve time to market, increase agility and improve quality
- Performs research in terms of application opportunities providing guidance on options and implications to the business with respect to new technologies or significant enhancements
- Keeps abreast of emerging technologies; provides viability of emerging technology applications for the business and risks/costs involved
- Records in written papers the results of research and possible opportunities for Marriott Vacations Worldwide
- Provides advanced support (level 4) and troubleshooting for production incidents with applications teams and recommends solutions to avoid future incidents.
Major Decision Making Impact:
- For the specialized technology focus, capture IT enabling opportunities or consult with business to avoid unnecessary IT expenditures where the cost of IT outweighs the benefit
- Recommends Software Quality Standards across all application development groups.
- Recommends design standards and design patterns for application design.
- Provides technical leadership for application development, application design and for technology selection and implementation.
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
Generally a professional position requiring significant knowledge and experience in one or more disciplines and/or business operations as well as associate and/or organizational management experience. College degree and/or relevant experience generally required.
Specific Candidate Profile
- Creativity and creative problem solving skills
- Business process knowledge and ability to understand and map technology solutions to business needs and future business vision
- Understanding of business customers and functions and relationship to technology
- Leadership skills and ability to lead technical team
- Technical specialization in Java, .Net, Web development, Integration and Integration patterns
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Global Orientation
Education: BS/BA degree (computer sciences, information systems preferred) technical certification, or equivalent experience
Experience: 10+ years full SDLC experience (includes application architecture)
Technologies: Below is a list of relevant technologies. Expertise in all in not required but a broad understanding of the following technologies would be required to fulfill the job requirements.