As a full time Systems Administrator, at The Jackson Laboratory you'll be part of an organization whose IT technology is as exciting and progressive as our science. We are currently looking for motivated individuals who will work with our computational scientists, system administrators, and other Research IT staff to plan, design and launch efficient systems in support of scientific research functions and processes.
The successful Systems Administration (SA) candidate will be responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software related to storage infrastructure. Responsibilities include:
- Participate in technical research and development to allow for continuing innovation within the JAX IT organization, including recommendations for hardware and software acquisition.
- Ensure that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to JAX’s organizational values and IT goals.
- Accountable for maintaining multi-petabyte research and enterprise storage systems.
- Support the operations of the following systems: SAN and NAS storage, ESX VMware, Microsoft Windows Server, Unix/Linux servers, Cloud Platform Services, and High Performance Computing (HPC).
- Support the Systems Administration group in engineering, provisioning, operations, maintenance and research/development to ensure continual innovation, including software applications, tools, and cloud products that fall into the System Administration domain.
- Install upgrades and patches for software and hardware/firmware, and configure these systems to conform to IT best practices and industry standards.
- Follow operations processes and documentation; provide documentation/project tracking and management reporting.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years experience in Systems Administration. Other means of acquiring this knowledge may be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Real world experience (3-5 years) with storage solutions such as Isilon, NetApp, 3PAR, and other leading research and enterprise storage vendors and technologies.
- Familiarity with, and experience in a dynamic research/academic environment.
- Expertise with Unix/Linux systems, shell scripting, C/C++ programming, Python/Perl and other relevant tools.
- Familiar with Cloud computing infrastructure (e.g. AWS, EC2, Google, Azure)
- Able to work independently, and as part of a team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sense of urgency to solve problems in a timely manner.
- Technical authority in area of specialty on assigned projects.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationship with scientists at all levels.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Available for on-call and non-business hours work to support business needs.
Job ID 2018-26207