The Buck Institute for Research on Aging is looking for a Systems Administrator to support all technology platforms. Reporting to the IT Director, this role’s primary focus is to support Windows Server platforms and to be the expert in this technology.
- Setup, modify, maintain, and decommission all Windows Servers used by the Institute.
- Setup, modify, and maintain Hyper-V virtualization environment, associated virtual machines, and backups.
- Setup and maintain server software and applications installed on Windows Servers.
- Setup and maintain Window Server, SQL Server, and application backups.
- Setup, organize, and maintain the Active Directory and Group Policy Objects.
- Setup and maintain SharePoint instances and applications.
- Ensure security updates and software updates are applied in a timely manner.
- Document Server environment (both virtual and physical), application environments on Windows Servers, and Active Directory.
- Monitor servers, applications, and AD for malware, intrusion, and security issues.
- Work with third-party service providers to maintain software under support contracts.
- Act as tier 3 support for helpdesk tickets and backup other system administrators and helpdesk technicians as requested.
- Assist and mentor junior staff.
- Communicate clearly with Department members and end users.
- Assist and backup events requiring audio/visual.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of experience as a Windows systems administrator and administering Windows endpoints
- 3+ years of experience managing Active Directory
- MCSA Windows Server certification, or equivalent, required
- MCSE Server Infrastructure certification, or equivalent, preferred
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and details to a non-technical audience, including leadership, administrative staff, faculty, and scientists
- Ability to communicate in technical terms with Departmental staff, contractors, bioinformatics faculty and scientists, vendors, and technical staff or collaborators
- Excellent analytical abilities and problem solving skills
- Ability to independently analyze a problem, research possible solutions, and implement a solution with minimal impact to users
- Ability to document solutions so that others can use the document to solve similar issues
- Strong team player who can mentor other members of the team