Work includes: 1) overseeing financial management of the physician enterprise, including monitoring budgets, productivity measures and other internal controls to assure defined targets and maximum performance measures are attained; 2) recommending/overseeing capital improvements such as upgrading clinic facilities, including construction/renovation of structures and purchase of new equipment; and 3) leading/implementing initiatives, programs and projects to monitor, evaluate, integrate and improve overall physician enterprise operations and quality of care in line with healthcare reform mandates and new organizational/delivery models.
Key contacts include CHI-FH/CHI Leadership, independent physician group leaders, physicians and other healthcare professionals to gain acceptance of recommendations regarding new programs/systems/policies and financial/performance improvement opportunities. Effective performance requires a high degree of professionalism and the ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of internal/external entitles/stakeholders to significantly increase the growth, visibility and financial viability of the assigned hospital.
Responsibilities require considerable knowledge of healthcare reform concepts and organizational models, technologies and physician enterprise operations sufficient to take advantage of important synergies/opportunities in contract administration, cost containment, business growth/development, information systems support and regulatory compliance.
Principal Duties and Accountabilities:
Duties may include:
- Provides executive oversight with respect to all aspects of patient care within the CHI-FH Physician Enterprise clinics and ensures the application of consistent practices relating to clinical/administrative operations, customer service, human resources activities and overarching CHI standards; collaborates with medical staff to develop and implement new clinical systems and programs to enhance existing services and raise the standard of care for the patient population served; ensures timely and effective execution of key strategic plans, priorities and objectives.
- Cultivates and maintains professional relationships with community constituents and other external entities/stakeholders to foster opportunities for enhanced community interaction/involvement, revenue enhancement/increased market share, and to positively impact public perception and brand awareness.
- Serves as a member of the CHI-FH Senior Leadership Team and, as such, provides effective strategic vision, leadership and direction in the overall management of the organization; collaborates with other SLT members in the company-wide evaluation of strategies, priorities and policies, and to determine the need for change to accommodate shifting business priorities, conditions and objectives and to facilitate overall standardization, integration and operational continuity.
- Determines operating capital resources needed to accomplish the business objectives of the Physician Enterprise and leads/oversees activities and resources in a manner that is fiscally-responsible and in accordance with CHI/CHI-FH policies and standards; leads and oversees the preparation of the annual operating budget, exercising effective cost control by monitoring and adjusting expenses as needed to stay within budget; approves expenditures within defined scope of responsibility; identifies negative variances and directs the development of action plans to document, address and effectively resolve in a timely manner; keeps appropriate parties apprised of all issues with potential for budgetary impact.
Short- and Long-Term Planning:
- Keeps abreast of national best practices and develops strategic programs that become best practices; ensures the ongoing assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of the organization to better identify future needs, priorities and challenges; evaluates existing systems/program/priorities and future potential to make recommendations for growth, expansion, new services and solvency of existing services based on market demographics and facility/service line volume projections; directs the development of methodologies for measuring impact, return on investment and/or effectiveness in meeting overall objectives and achieving expected results.
- Directs, leads and/or oversees the development, implementation and evaluation of systems/initiatives/programs impacting the entire organization to facilitate performance/process improvements in keeping with strategic objectives and regulatory requirements; conducts ongoing assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of the assigned functions) to better understand/identify future needs and challenges; evaluates existing systems/priorities and future potential to make recommendations for performance/process improvement initiatives; develops/presents comprehensive recommendations regarding the viability of specific projects and plans/directs process improvement initiatives/projects to ensure achievement of business objectives.
- Ensures full compliance with internal/external legal and regulatory standards and requirements, and that effective controls are in place and fully functioning to preclude improprieties from occurring; monitors the effectiveness of current practices in meeting expectations and producing desired results consistent with federal, state and regulatory requirements.
- Keeps abreast of changing regulatory requirements and regulations, clinical and professional standards, changing customer demographics and competitive industry practices impacting the Physician Enterprise, as well as organizational initiatives/changes with potential to impact current strategies, programs and resources; determines nature/scope of impact and implements effective responses/solutions while maintaining acceptable service/quality/productivity levels and financial balance.
Staff Management and Development
- Directs and evaluates the work of subordinate management staff in accordance with the content, spirit and intent of applicable internal/external regulations and standards for human resource management; makes employment decisions, establishes performance standards and evaluates management performance; educates, guides, counsels and develops management staff and addresses performance management concerns and technical issues elevated by subordinates as beyond their scope of authority.
- Ensures the development and execution of effective marketing strategies and promotional materials that are designed to enhance awareness, expand market share and increase revenues to CHI-FH; identifies and implements strategies/opportunities to differentiate CHI-FH programs and services from those of other healthcare providers; participates in community awareness activities to promote clinical programs/services. Performs related duties as required.
Doctorate of Medicine degree, with Board Certification in an applicable clinical specialty, and ten years related work experience that would demonstrate attainment of the requisite job knowledge/abilities (preferably within an large medical center, medical group or complex healthcare system), including seven years of related management/leadership experience.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, regulatory requirements and CHI-FH policies applicable to financial management, budget administration, resource/expense control, employee supervision and performance management.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and tools of health system administration, strategic business planning, program development and continuous process/performance improvement.
- Knowledge of health care reform initiatives and legal issues pertaining to health care sufficient to apply to human resource planning and programs.
- Knowledge of the content, intent and application of regulations, policies, standards, operations, and requirements applicable to the business function(s) under designated scope of authority.
- Knowledge of safety/risk management and regulatory accreditation/survey processes relating to health care organizations.
- Knowledge of the concepts, practices and tools relating to statistical analysis and the development of program metrics.
- Knowledge of the concepts, methods and tools of project management sufficient to oversee the work of teams engaged in performance improvement activities in a cross-functional environment.
- Knowledge of the functionality, application and use of general health care information systems technologies sufficient to manage assigned operations.
- Ability to influence/persuade others, negotiate effectively with diverse groups of high-level individuals, and create buy-in for services, programs, and initiatives.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate results to determine whether activities effectively address and support business objectives, and produce the expected outcomes and return-on-investment.
- Ability to strategize, develop, implement and evaluate business plans, initiatives, standards, and policies/procedures.
- Ability to identify budget variances, compliance deficiencies and/or systemic weaknesses and implement timely corrective action/performance improvement to forestall or remedy.
- Ability to effectively plan, direct and evaluate the work of subordinate management staff.
- Ability to keep abreast of trends, emerging technologies, best practices and new/changing regulatory requirements impacting matters within designated scope of authority.
- Ability to convey information effectively in verbal and written communication, and through group/business presentations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as required by the duties of the position, and to work effectively with groups and in a complex and matrixed organizational structure.
- Ability to use office equipment and automated systems/applications/software at an acceptable level of proficiency.
- Current license to practice medicine (MD) or osteopathic medicine (DO).
- Board-certified or Board-eligible in a recognized medical specialty.