General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for a System Safety and Human Factors Engineer to join our Electromagnetic System group located in Rancho Bernardo, CA. Senior Systems Safety/ Human Factors (HF) Engineer responsible for ensuring that the products developed at GA and sold to the customer are safe for use. The primary job responsibility will be that of performing Hazard Analysis (Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), System Hazard Analysis (SHA), Subsystem Hazard Analysis (SSHA), Operating and Support Hazard Analysis (O&SHA), Functional Hazard Analysis, Software Hazard Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis)) per MIL-STD-882E and contract requirements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Employ safety analysis techniques which will be performed on the engineering product
- Develop System Safety/HF for environmental compliance, prohibited materials, hazardous materials management, and pollution prevention in accordance with MIL-STD-882E & MIL-STD-1472
- Develop, deliver and update System Safety Analysis and Risk Assessment, and Hazard Tracking database Flow down of the System Safety & HF requirements to suppliers and audit/review of the supplier's analysis is also required. Independently analyzes and recommends safety features and controls for system design, software, training and procedures to mitigate or eliminate hazards
- Perform and support the development of safety documentation to support customer and contract requirements Support the development of integrated system hazard analyses
- Ensure hardware and software system safety requirements are identified and documented in appropriate plans, processes and procedures
- Assure the program defines and collects evidence in meeting established safety requirements (including identification and execution/oversight of Level of Rigor testing)
- Prepare and deliver presentations and participates in safety review meetings, system design meetings, program engineering review and change board meetings
- Ensure hazard controls are properly implemented and verified
- Participate in the development of testing activities to assure safety requirements are met.
- Review and provide input to Systems Engineering, Design and Software documentation consistent with project phase to include requirements development, design, development, verification, test methods and performance verification Review specifications, technical documentation, and changes to those documents for impacts to system safety. The results of these analyses will be documented in technical reports.
- Plan, host and support System Safety working groups to validate the system’s design to meet requirements Work closely with customer to develop Safety Cases, collaborates hazard mitigations and residual risk and obtain Safety Releases/Certifications
- Act as technical lead of small team responsible for System Safety/Human Factors Engineering (HFE)
- Ensures that safety/ Human Factors (HF) critical functions are tracked and that risks are reduced through valid controls to ensure safer operations within a system.
- Knowledge of aerospace physiology and factors affecting human performance
- Experience in research studies surrounding human performance and human effectiveness
- Knowledge of current state of the art in physiological and cognitive sensing, human-system integration, and human-machine interface design
- Ensure that requirements specifications clearly identify the safety/HF requirements.
- Ensure bi-directional traceability between safety/HF requirements and system hazards, which traces down to the design specifications, implementation, and verification method.
- Ensures that safety/HF issues are addressed in formal and informal reviews and that specific safety/HF analyses and tests are performed especially when there are specific software safety issues and potential hazards.
- Interfaces with the testing organizations to ensure verification of hazard controls implemented by hardware / software.
- Reviews safety-critical requirements for inclusion in project technical specifications.
- Interacting with the customer’s safety organizations and coordinating with our systems safety group and subcontractors.
- Awareness of software safety is beneficial.
- Facilitation & quality. Assertive, leadership to generate customer and internal stakeholder engagement across multiple contracts.
- Facilitates schedule performance thru optimized implementation planning with CAMs.
- Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments and develops solutions to complex problems.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelor’s degree, seven or more years of experience with a master’s degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Strong technical background.
- Strong creative drive, and the ability to apply out of the box thinking to research problems.
- Experience conducting System Safety efforts, testing and verification in compliance with MIL-STD-882E or equivalent.
- Experienced in human-in-the-loop evaluations (including usability testing and workload analysis), as well as providing support to test and verification activities.
- Familiarity with MATLAB and Labview.
- Knowledge of Safety Engineering design practices.
- Ability to manage subcontractors in Safety field of expertise.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- Proficient in hazard tracking software.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships are a must.
- Additionally, candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills, technical writing experience, and an ability to perform oral presentations in front of large groups.
- Candidate must be willing to work overtime and travel as needed to support program requirements.
- Demonstrated System Safety/HF experience in a Conceptual/Preliminary Design environment.
- Demonstrated System Safety /HF experience in a Development Program.
- Possesses experience in training and mentoring less experienced engineers to train engineers in the practical application of the System Safety /HF technical discipline.
- Experience leading a project or team.
- Experience with military or government programs.
- A Professional Engineering License is desirable.
- Mechanical or Electrical Engineering degree.
- Experience in preparing software system safety documentation and presenting safety case to the SSSTRP or equivalent safety boards is considered a strong plus.
- Familiar with software engineering analysis, assessment and documentation tools.
- Knowledge of Systems Engineering is considered a strong plus.
- Experience in aviation industry or Military applications.
- Experience with Graphical User Interface (GUI) Design or Game Design.
- Experience with Human Modeling tools or 3D modeling tools.
- Experience with Requirements Management Tools such as DOORS.
- Reliability and Maintainability engineering knowledge.
- Hazardous Materials Management knowledge.
- Experience supporting System Safety Working Groups.
- Experience supporting Government conducted tests and providing Safety analysis of test incidents.
- Hardware/Software fault insertion design and test experience.