Our Fossil Generation Engineering department is seeking a System Protection Engineer III/Senior who will perform engineering design and specification of protective relay schemes, devices and settings to ensure protection of the APS Fossil generation facilities.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Setting and testing microprocessor relays
- Troubleshoot protective relay misoperations
- Develop protective relay settings based on relaying control schemes
- Develop protective relay requirements for generation facilities
- Perform fault and relay coordination studies ETAP software
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements such as CIP,WECC, and NERC Reliability Standards
- Provide technical expertise to Operations personnel on matters of system protection operations, during temporary and emergency conditions
- Analyze electrical system failures and make recommendations for corrective action
Engineer III Minimum Requirements:
Requires Bachelor's degree in Engineering (applicable engineering discipline specific to area of assignment) or Professional Engineer designation plus five (5) years working experience or 9 years equivalent combination of education and experience.
Engineer Senior Minimum Requirements:
Requires Bachelor's degree in Engineering (applicable engineering discipline specific to area of assignment) or Professional Engineer designation plus eight (8) years working experience or 12 years equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of power system protection including impedance calculations and symmetrical components. Knowledge of relay characteristics and Digital Fault Recorders.
- Previous experience in system protection, design of functional control circuits, installation and testing of relay and functional control circuits.
Major Accountabilities (job specific):
- Ensure engineering design, project control and oversight work has high technical quality, is cost effective, in compliance with established engineering design standards, codes and regulations, maintains future reliability, satisfies customer requirements, budget and schedules
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to testing department personnel to enhance department performance and productivity. Provide direct assistance to engineers in both engineering design and project management
- Provide effective field support as necessary
- Conduct various inspections prior to and during project to ensure project is on schedule and within code and company specifications
- Maintain the highest level of employee and public safety while adhering to the Accident Prevention Manual
- Provide recommendations for design and installation standards
- Propose relay replacement projects to support long range system health
- Coordinate with Plant Engineers and Design Engineers to help develop construction documents for new and existing protection schemes
- Assist Project Managers to develop scope of work and conceptual design for projects
- Work with outside engineering services to accomplish the assigned work including review of protection design work
- Assist P&C Techs in the field to troubleshoot and resolve relay issues
- Provide oversight support for commissioning modernization projects, create schedule and budget estimates, coordinate with Fossil and 3rd Party P&C techs
- Work with NERC CIP and WECC compliance committees to ensure regulation compliance
- Create NERC CIP documentation as part of protection system modernization projects
- Provide emergent support, including afterhours support, for resolution of field issues
- Assist with coordination and scheduling of protection system testing
- Develop, maintain and update procedures for compliance with NERC requirements
- Evaluate testing results and maintain testing records for evidence of compliance
- Maintain and update protective device PowerBase database
- Perform engineering design and analysis for small scale modernization projects