Specifically, the System Optimization Engineer will be responsible for both day-to-day and long-term improvements to the physics-based system design optimization tool, which is used for system architecture trade studies, system and sub-system design optimization, performance optimization, and system cost optimization.
The System Optimization Engineer Will:
- Work closely with the Manager of System Optimization, as well as members of the Hardware Engineering, Software Engineering, Manufacturing, and Business Strategy Departments to add, update, and refine cost, sizing, and performance models of the Virgin Hyperloop system.
- Take on longer term projects to introduce significant new functionality to the system design optimization tool and improve the tool’s software architecture.
- Work with the DevOps team to enhance supporting infrastructure, including, but not limited to, testing suites and results databases.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Implement day-to-day updates to the system design optimization tool
- Work with members of various engineering teams and business strategy teams to add new models and further refine existing models
- Implement new features and functionality to take the system design optimization tool to the next level
- Effectively communicate results and design recommendations to diverse audiences
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- BS degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or similar field with equivalent level of work experience
- Demonstrated experience of strong engineering fundamentals across a broad range of disciplines (e.g. structures, fluids, electrical)
- Advanced proficiency in Python
- Comfortable with git version control
- Familiar with multidisciplinary optimization techniques and software engineering development practices
- Experience developing large software projects
NICE TO HAVE
- MS or PhD degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or similar field.
- 2+ years of industry experience
- Experience implementing tools for solving large-scale multidisciplinary optimization problems