System Engineering Manager
The Palo Alto Networks Systems Engineering Manager is a technical leader for the district Systems Engineering team. The systems engineers within the district will report directly to the SEM and the SEM reports directly to a Systems Engineering Director. The SEM will have dotted line responsibility to, and tight alignment with, the District Sales Manager. The SEM will have leadership responsibility for the Systems Engineers with the district and will also have direct customer interaction as the technical leader for the district. It is expected that the SEM can perform all of the functions that a Palo Alto Networks Systems Engineer does including running Evaluations/Proof of concepts. The SEM will act as the Systems Engineering resource for the District Sales Manager in the case where the DSM has a specific set of accounts or territory assigned.
- Recruit and hire new Systems Engineers into the territory.
- Responsible to training and mentoring new Systems Engineers on the team.
- HR responsibility for Systems Engineers in the territory (expenses, reviews, etc)
- Support field SE team in complex evaluations, troubleshooting and challenging customer environments.
- Assist with defining periodic SE training curriculum.
- Assist Channel team in ensuring Partner SE’s are trained and can support Palo Alto Networks evaluation installations.
- Foster channel partner relationships with their technical teams.
- Provide technical leadership in customer interactions to include sharingsecurity trends and best practices being employed by other customers to actively be part of the selling process—have a unique value with the customers in your district.
- Act as a floating SE and fill in for existing team members if there is a resource conflict, or vacation coverage challenge.
- Provide an escalation point for pre-sales and post sales technical issues that arise in the territory.
- Build and maintain relationships with Key customers in the territory to solidify reference accounts and to assist the account teams with defining plans to drive more business.
- Direct account engagement and customer relationships are a critical part of this role
- BS CS/EE or related (or equivalent work experience)
- 3+ Years’ experience as a pre-sales SEM, or 6+ years as a Sr SEM or Consulting Engineering
- State, Local Government and Education Market experience in territory. This would include existing relationships with the SLED customer base and partners.
- Industry knowledge of security product market trends and directional awareness of Palo Alto Network’s roadmap and technology development efforts.
- The role calls for in-depth knowledge of competitive security products.
- Knowledge of how to deliver comprehensive security solutions to PAN’s customer base, and maintains a general understanding of competitive selling strategies.
- 50-75% Travel within region.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills