Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a System Engineer. This position is located in the Reston, VA area.
This is a full-time position. The incumbent shall develop and lead the execution of high complexity, space-based threat research and synthesis projects through the application of experience and demonstrated technical mastery. The incumbent will have primary responsibility for guiding the team in troubleshooting execution challenges in response to identified space threats. The incumbent shall serve as the solution architect responsible for developing solutions and courses of action to complex problems and threats. It requires the ability to fully and comprehensively understand and anticipate space and counterspace threats before they become operationally relevant and present. Incumbents must work in a contractor and Government team to develop integrated strategies to identify and present vulnerabilities, assess threat impacts, identify options, and recommend solutions leading to comprehensive space protection capabilities.
• Identifies and develops requirements when none are provided and communicates requirements with stakeholders and clients to ensure timely feedback. Leads definition and tailoring of processes for a project team or for an engineering activity (such as requirements engineering, design, etc.) Provides guidance to others involved in tailored processes. Leads the analysis of complex data and provides direction regarding appropriate methods to be used. Leads preparation of technical reports and documentation artifacts. Uses knowledge of multiple disciplines to apply the findings or tools to other domains.
• Specifically, the incumbent shall synthesize threat technical and operational data and develop comprehensive material and non-material courses of action, along with developing and implementing decision support and tradeoff mechanisms.
• Demonstrates and implements a mastery of forward and reverse engineering.
• Demonstrates mastery in all life cycle processes for engineered systems. Leads large teams of engineers and analysts for complex, multidisciplinary systems. Provides direction and coaching to lower level staff around strengths and weaknesses of solutions, conclusions and problem approaches.
• Works with internal and external clients and partners in and outside of the National Space Security segment. Communicates with clients regarding schedule and project performance, manages partner relationships, and facilitates client and partner meetings. Authors and conducts briefings for clients, regulators, and stakeholders and in public forums as necessary. Demonstrates advanced knowledge of the information being presented and can be relied on to respond to client questions as they arise, engaging Subject Matter Experts where appropriate.
• Drives consistency in Configuration Management practices throughout the business unit and project. Develops and implements quality practices for broader use across the business line.
• Leads collaboration efforts including brainstorming on complex technical issues involving material and non-material solutions and courses of action. Provides mentoring and technical guidance to lower level staff and encourages development through collaboration and the open exchange of ideas.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
• Top Secret Clearance and SCI eligible.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering with at least 12 years’ experience.
• Work experience with Intelligence, Defense Department, Air Force Space organizations or Intelligence community organizations.
• Proficient in using Microsoft Office tools: Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
• Must be a US Citizen.
• Successfully be authorized and issued a Government CAC card.
• Work site in the Reston, VA area.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
• Master’s Degree in an engineering discipline.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.