The System Director, Clinical Education is responsible for providing educational leadership for the Methodist LeBonheur Healthcare System in order to drive clinical and professional excellence. Responsible for all aspects of the educational process, including assessment of learning needs, implementing effective educational offerings, maintenance of current learning resources, and evaluation of outcomes. Provides innovative education methods based on evidence based practice, research, and the Professional Practice Model and Magnet components. Responsible for the development and implementation of orientation, in-service education, competency training and evaluation, clinical staff professional development, and leadership support. Ensures that training and development initiatives are aligned and support organizational goals. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in MLH Mission, Vision and Values.
Master’s degree in Nursing or related field; at least one degree in nursing.
Five (5) years of progressive experience in nursing or clinical education.
Current licensure from the state of Tennessee as a Registered Nurse.
ANCC/AONE certification in leadership or staff development certification required within two (2) years of employment.
ANCC Magnet Experience Simulation Training
PhD or other doctoral degree
- Skilled in developing and implementing plans and programs and defining measures of success using evidence based practices and research to drive increased quality, patient experience, associate engagement and professional and leadership development.
- Advanced leadership, planning and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple and potentially large, complex projects and to direct the successful completion of change management initiatives and achievement of organizational goals.
- A creative and strategic thinker who is innovative in approach to education and professional development.
- Strong commitment to organizational values and goals with an emphasis on providing outstanding customer service, both internal and external.
- Skill and proficiency in leading education of the health professions and adult education using innovative teaching and technology strategy.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to gather, sort, evaluate, act upon and present data.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication abilities that supports and promotes a respectful, inclusive culture of service excellence, quality and safety.
- Skill in linking and measuring clinical outcomes to the education and professional development initiatives.
- Ability to collaborate with diverse groups, internally and externally, to drive quality, safety, clinical and service excellence, professional development and address regulatory requirements.
- Ability to understand and prepare complex written materials, such as policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop and implement a vision and strategic plan for the department, aligned with organizational strategy and goals.
- Ability to present program plans and results to large and small groups.
- Understands and is able to use the Magnet process, evidence based practice and research in performing the work.
Key Job Responsibilities
Clinical Education Leadership
- Provides educational leadership and guidance to the MLH System to include development and execution of education and professional development. Develops innovative solutions to successfully achieve desired outcomes; builds and leads a culture of innovative service delivery.
- Assesses learning needs of clinical staff and leaders, at least annually, through direct observation, formal learning assessments, and through review of quality improvement and program evaluation.
- Directs the educational program that promotes professional excellence for all clinical roles. Develops and implements evaluation systems and key metrics to monitor the quality of the training and professional development.
- Establishes effective communication channels for facility clinical educators and schools and colleges of nursing and other professional programs.
- Leads quality monitoring and evaluation activities and implements measures, such as education, to ensure that regulatory agencies and other quality standards are met.
- Integrates simulation experiences into education and professional development programs. Includes designing, implementing, and evaluating high quality, low and high fidelity simulation experiences.
- Incorporates Magnet components and research and evidence based practice in educational and professional development offerings.
Human Resource Management
- Directs or provides oversight for the activities of Associates reporting to the operational and support areas; monitors Associates performance and clarifies work expectations, assists with goal setting, and promotes cooperation among individuals and groups.
- Develops and implements processes through orientation, training and education to ensure that the competence of all staff members is assessed, maintained, and demonstrated throughout their employment.
- Deploys department associates to serve as resources at the facility level.
- Plans, organizes, implements, and controls operations to meet departmental goals and objectives, which are aligned with organizational strategy. Directs operating policies and procedures for the assigned area of responsibility.
- Develops and manages department budget.
- Promotes the flow of information by establishing, using, and maintaining effective communication systems.
- Accepts authority and responsibility for staff/customer collaboration to enhance customer service.
- Demonstrates effective customer relations skills, promotes a positive work environment and contributes to the team effort.
- The physical activities of this position may include climbing, pushing, standing, hearing, walking, reaching, grasping, kneeling, stooping, and repetitive motion.
- Must have good balance and coordination.
- The physical requirements of this position are: light work - exerting up to 25 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently.
- The Associate is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity, such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; or extensive reading.
- The conditions to which the Associate will be subject in this position: The Associate is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions; job functions are typically performed under conditions such as those found in general office or administrative work.
- May need to travel among clinical sites.