The System Administrator position is responsible for the smooth functioning of all hardware, software, peripherals, and server infrastructure necessary to provide efficient and effective computer resources to all departments and their employees. An incumbent provides day-to-day user support, software/hardware installation, monitoring of servers, and problem resolution of servers and desktops. Tasks are multiple and varied and are performed within the scope of general company policies, procedures and objectives, using independent judgment in adapting broad guidelines to achieve the desired result. The System Administrator role should be passionate about the evolution of systems infrastructure and virtualization technologies to help drive future advancements.
- Provide second level support and maintenance for server infrastructure and virtualization environments
- Proactively monitor system performance to assist with the identification of potential issues and future design improvements
- Author, document and maintain internal documentation, procedures and policies
- Evaluate new systems infrastructure technology advancements, standards, and methodologies to assist with the support of future customer needs
- Investigate performance anomalies and perform root cause analysis for system and virtualization infrastructures
- Installation, configuration and deployment of systems infrastructure with a focus on scalability, performance, redundancy and security.
- Evaluate, design and implement complex systems monitoring and management solutions to help drive performance improvements and reliability
- Works with solution engineers and developers to identify business requirements and suggests service improvements and/or new technology directions
- Leads and mentors technical staff; resolves problems directly through coaching and/or collaboration with management
- Stays abreast of changing system and virtualization technologies.
- Effectively manages time and competing priorities to meet objectives and project deadlines.
- Provide 24x7 technical support via on-call duties, as required
- Occasional travel to remote sites and client facilities
- Learns and becomes proficient with all the technology utilities, tools and standards at TransPerfect.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Server 2012/2016, Windows 7/10, Active Directory, TCP/IP protocols, IIS Administration, Exchange Server and server virtualization technologies including Hyper-V.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the configuration, implementation and testing of virtualization environments hosting hundreds of servers, fiber channel devices and SAN performance optimization.
- Expert knowledge and skilled in scriptinglanguages such as PowerShell, Internet filtering software, SPAM filtering software, and system health monitoring.
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills to accomplish a high volume of competing work assignments and routine duties within established deadlines.
- Highly skilled in two-way communication, judgment, negotiation, and conflict resolution; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with all staff levels.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Strong math skills and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work with minimal direction.
- Skilled at data analysis, critical thinking and problem-solving.
- Must be flexible and willing to support a 24x7 environment
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- MCSE and other industry certifications a strong plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and directly related experience
- 10+ years of experience in designing and managing server and virtualized infrastructures
- 5+ years of experience configuring and managing SAN environments including best practices, performance tuning and troubleshooting