The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, network systems and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, and Partners.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of new projects. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
This individual is accountable for the following systems: VMWare, Azure, O365 and Windows systems that support infrastructure; Storage systems. Network and application systems. Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
SA Engineering and Provisioning:
- · Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- · Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- · Install, configure and maintain network systems consisting of HP Procurve, HP Commware, Fortinet.
- · Install, configure and maintain appliances such as Barracuda Spam filters, webfilters, load balancers.
- · Familiarity with VoIP is a plus.
- · Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- · Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- · Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
Operations and Support (with the admin team):
- · Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- · Assist with performing regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- · Assist with performing daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- · Assist with performing regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- · Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- · Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- · Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- · Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- · Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- · Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- · Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- · Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science.
- · Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in the Microsoft platform.
- · Four to six years system administration experience.
- · Position deals with a variety of problems and sometime has to decide which answer is best. The question/issues are typically clear and requires determination of which answer (from a few choices) is the best
- · Decisions normally have a noticeable effect department-wide and company-wide, and judgment errors can typically require one to two weeks to correct or reverse.
- · Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues. May resolve problems within established practices.
- · Provides occasional guidance, some of which is technical.
- · Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
- · Some travel may be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, and feel; and reach with hands and arms.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work). The employee may be subject to one or more of the following atmospheric conditions that affect the respiratory system of the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.