Systems Engineering is a dynamic team responsible for the infrastructure of a highly automated facility that supports building, testing, and releasing of all MathWorks products. We design and implement application infrastructure that increases performance and improves fault tolerance for servers and services that support our Development organization.
Systems administrators set up new servers, maintain and develop monitoring for the existing infrastructure, and work with the Build-and-Test Systems Engineering team to develop plans to further evolve the system. This includes looking at all aspects of the application stack including virtualization, storage, databases, and web services. The candidate is expected to work on the day-to-day maintenance of the hardware and Virtual Machines, automate repeated tasks, and ensure that the system has sufficient resources for efficient operation. The Systems Administrator will also participate in cross-functional teams and help debug system issues.
- A bachelor's degree and 3 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree) is required.
- BS with 3-5 years or MS with 2-4 years in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant technical field and/or work experience
- Experience with Virtualization (VMWare, OpenStack is a plus)
- Strong knowledge of setting up and maintaining system hardware in data centers with minimal guidance
- Knowledge of multiple operating systems such as Solaris, Linux, MacOS, and Windows
- Strong scripting skills (Python, Perl, and shell)
- Networking knowledge (switch configuration, SDN is a plus)
- Familiarity in working with relational database management systems (SQL, MySQL)
- Familiarity with systems monitoring (Nagios)
- Knowledge of ZFS is a plus
- Experience with multiple storage technologies (NAS, SAN, etc.) and protocols (NFS, CIFS, SMB2) is a plus
- Strong diagnostic and troubleshooting skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Independent learner and self-directed; takes initiative while working within a team context
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and balance priorities with good time management
- Excellent coordination and planning skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Desire and ability to work in a highly collaborative, team-oriented environment