We are looking for a System Administrator (SA) to join the IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, NY.
We are seeking a highly self-motivated individual to install, configure, manage and troubleshoot servers, PCs and other hardware systems and associated software as needed. The person selected will also apply knowledge to assist in the buildup of the networks.
The SA will work with a team of other administrators to:
- Assist with the management of hardware and software assets;
- Conduct required HW/SW inventories;
- Gather specifications and quotes for new hardware;
- Support Microsoft and Linux applications and workstation clients, database applications, and other user applications installed on the network and computer systems.
We seek individuals who:
- Are technical, analytical, and have excellent interpersonal and teaming skills.
- Are excellent verbal and written communicators.
- Have strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Are available to meet the needs of the customer for installation, maintenance and equipment malfunctions.
- Can function well in a high visibility area with structured guidelines but with little direct supervision.
- Have a background that demonstrates initiative, detail mindedness and an outcome-focused approach.
- Are willing and able to improve knowledge of applicable technologies through self-directed learning.
Experience with one or more of the following is a plus:
- Firewalls (software or hardware appliance)
- Centralized authentication systems (NIS, FreeIPA, RADIUS, etc.)
- VPN tunnels
- Virtualization environments
- Source control/project lifecycle systems (Git and Rational)
US Citizenship is required for this role.
The World is Our Laboratory No matter where discovery takes place; IBM researchers push the boundaries of science, technology and business to make the world work better. IBM Research is a global community of forward-thinkers working towards a common goal: progress.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 5 years’ experience administering Windows systems
- 5 years’ experience administering Linux systems
- 5 years’ experience diagnosing and repairing hardware issues
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of Mac, Windows, and Linux systems
- Must have experience administering both Windows and Linux systems
- Must be knowledgeable in PC, server and peripheral hardware systems installation, configuration, and troubleshooting
- Must be knowledgeable in networks: best practices and implementation
- Must be skilled in client and server software installation, configuration, administration and troubleshooting
- Must have a good understanding of backup hardware, software, and procedures
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a security clearance
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
- 5 years administering mixed operating system networks
- 3 years’ experience with self-directed skills improvement
- 3 years’ experience with one or more scriptinglanguages (Bash, Python, Perl)