Leads the Henry Ford Health System (HFHS) non-labor operating expense and capital spend from source to payment in excess of $1 billion annually. Responsible for the strategic and operational functions of HFHS Supply Chain Management, including: strategic sourcing and contracting, cost management, procurement, accounts payable, logistics, market based Supply Chain Management, and centralized distribution activities, medical equipment planning and purchasing, Supply Chain informatics and compliance with all applicable regulations related to medical equipment to the best benefit of the organization. Leads teams to assure timely and effective performance of department objectives, effective staff performance of 260 FTE’s and participation in strategic planning and project development and reports to the HFHS EVP & CFO.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direction and guidance to Supply Chain leadership team. Responsible for planning, organizing, developing, and directing the operations of the Supply Chain Management functions across Henry Ford Health System.
- Balances the dual responsibility of real savings and quality, including direct savings captures through pooling system-wide purchasing volume, or indirect savings realized by enhancing the overall effectiveness of the supply management process across the system.
- Works closely with the market, service line and other operations leaders to determine current and future supply and service needs for system, market or service line, to agree on the best method for fulfilling those needs, and to monitor ongoing effectiveness of the process.
- Prepares an annual strategic plan that identifies how the supply management organization intends to achieve the system’s needs. Proposes through the plan specific team projects for the year, expected savings from these initiatives, staffing needs including proposed team leaders, a timetable for their completion and means to track results for each market impacted by the plan activities. Presents and seeks approval through the HFHS leadership management system.
- Tracks achieved savings and builds methods for incorporating savings from teams into operating budgets. Works together with market, service line and operational leaders to incorporate the impact associated with supply chain team efforts into operating budgets. Communicates overall non-labor trends/results to management on an ongoing basis and prepares a comprehensive communication strategy/approach to building system-wide awareness on how to manage non-labor and capital costs more effectively.
- Ensures leadership nationally by keeping abreast of best practices, business continuity risks and new medical developments. Takes steps to ensure that system and local markets are implementing such practices where appropriate.
- Develops guidelines, policies, and standards for system-wide supply chain activities including; vendor management practices, utilization management efforts, inventory management, purchasing practices, institution-wide supply chain systems and data management, approaches to system’s accounts payable functions, transportation and warehouse activities, service level agreements, communications and compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Establishes performance monitoring/KPI programs in coordination with System Support Services quality programs, consistent with industry trends and best practices, for all areas within scope.
- Develops and maintains systematic analytical benchmarking, financial performance reporting methods to assist with decision making and advising Henry Ford Health System senior executive, Physicians and Clinicians with actionable analytics and information.
- Leads a lean/process excellence culture. Identifies and executes performance improvement initiatives aimed at achieving year-on-year reductions in HFHS non-labor spending.
- Leads operations for Shared Strategic Sourcing, Procurement Services, Accounts Payable, and the Distribution Center.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws/regulations; the HFHS Integrity and Compliance Program and Code of Conduct; as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
- Annually develops a diverse supplier plan that seeks to lead the arena of supplier diversity and continually addresses gaps in sourcing processes and specific categories of spend.
- Promotes and participates in Henry Ford Health System committees and task forces as required to ensure that input for areas of responsibility are integrated into major corporate decisions and initiatives such as new facility development, diversity forum, and so forth.
- Serves as executive point contact for significant vendors and industry contacts, including Group Purchasing Organizations, prime distributors, and significant product manufacturers and distributors for the benefit of HFHS.
- Consistently engages Market, Service Line and Division Leadership, CNO’s, CMO’s Physicians and Clinicians to establish and create a shared vision of Supply Chain Management services. Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Henry Ford Health System policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of leading supply chain management principles and practices, including the management of the ‘procure- to-pay’ cycle, strategic sourcing, inventory and logistics management as normally obtained through completion of a Bachelor's of Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, Finance, or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible related leadership experience.
- Must possess outstanding people leadership and management skills.
- Knows, understands, incorporates, and demonstrates the HFHS’ Mission, Vision, and Values in leadership behaviors, practices, and decisions.
- Must possess ability to quickly grasp the sourcing ramifications of new medical technologies and advances in care.
- Must possess capability of exercising forceful yet sensible leadership; willing to make tough/unpopular decisions, but well respected by business and medical leaders.
- Must possess ability to work in an ambiguous matrix environment and aggressively take the lead on implementation of savings opportunities that affect numerous lines of business.
- Must be able to operate effectively in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
- Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, and values of HFHS.
- Be self-directed, flexible and committed to the team concept, demonstrate teamwork, initative and willingness to learn and open to new learning experiences.
- Accepts and respects diversity and demonstrates customer service values.
- Office setting with some exposure to communicable diseases with minimal exposure to noise, dust, &/or extreme temperatures. Lifting no more than 20 pounds at a time, with frequent lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 pounds. May require a good deal of walking or standing, and/or may require sitting most of the time with some pushing/pulling of arm or leg controls.