The Associate General Counsel- SVP, Legal Operations position acts as an interface between the general counsel and the legal department. This position coordinates activities such as the annual operating plan and department budgets, hiring and recruiting, as well as other activities and projects as assigned by the General Counsel. In addition, this position assumes responsibility for leading law firm and third - party vendor negotiations, developing pricing strategies, conducting RFPs (Request for Proposals), tracking and coordinating outside counsel fee arrangements and driving other cost control initiatives.
• Responsible for developing, refining and promoting the legal department’s mission, developing and executing on the department’s short and long term operations plan; and creating and tracking quantitative and qualitative goals for the Function and members of the function with measurable Key Performance Indicators.
• Manage the day to day administration of the Function including setting agendas for the Legal Management Team; project management; and creating efficiencies and process flows including leveraging the use of technology when appropriate.
• Assist in coordinating the Legal Risk Management Working Group including developing and tracking Key Risk Indicators for the function and interfacing with Operational Risk.
• Where needed contribute substantively to managing and resolving legal issues facing a publicly traded and regulated Bank Holding Company.
• Provide creative thinking to help identify and develop cutting-edge strategies for increasing value and reducing outside legal spend while maintaining excellent legal representation and optimizing engagement practices with our law firms.
• Partner with legal leads in negotiating deals with external law firms ensuring competitive pricing. Organize the selection of and competitive bidding process for law firms and regular review of existing firms and vendors.
• Develop and manage the legal annual operating plan and all department budgets.
• Lead the legal planning process to determine future headcount and spend by business and geography. Works as a primary interface between the legal department and finance.
• Identify, collect, and report on key performance indicators and metrics that are meaningful and relevant in ascertaining the legal team’s budget management performance.
• Responsible for other strategic plan or initiatives as delegated by the General Counsel.
• Bachelor’s Degreerequired preferably in business or finance, JD and/or MBA preferred.
• Minimum 10 years’ total work experience in operations, with minimum of three years in a law firm, five years in legal operations, billing and pricing.
• Executive leadership and proven track record of making an impact, developing and executing on strategies and delivering superior results in both the short and long term.
• Demonstrable experience with alternative fee arrangement cost modelling.
• In-depth understanding of law firm billing, pricing and compensation practices.
• Strong understanding of litigation/transaction matter lifecycles.
• Demonstrated project/process management experience.
• Strong collaboration skills, with an ability to build relationships both within a team and across external departments.
• Proactive, entrepreneurial approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues and developing solutions; excellent business judgment and strategic thinking.
• Skills in sound judgment, problem solving, critical thinking and interpersonal communication.
• Attention to detail with excellent time management and multitasking/prioritization abilities.
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word.
• Proven ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and responsibilities.