Controller, Sustaining Projects
Albemarle Corporation (NYSE: ALB), headquartered in Charlotte, NC, is a global specialty chemicals company with leading positions in lithium, bromine and refining catalysts. We power the potential of companies in many of the world's largest and most critical industries, from energy and communications to transportation and electronics. Working side-by-side with our customers, we develop value-added, customized solutions that make them more competitive. Our solutions combine the finest technology and ingredients with the knowledge and know-how of our highly experienced and talented team of operators, scientists and engineers.
Discovering and implementing new and better performance-based sustainable solutions is what motivates all of us. We think beyond business-as-usual to drive innovations that create lasting value. Albemarle employs approximately 5,400 people and serves customers in approximately 100 countries. We regularly post information to www.albemarle.com, including notification of events, news, financial performance, investor presentations and webcasts, non-GAAP reconciliations, SEC filings and other information regarding our company, its businesses and the markets it serves.
The sustaining project controller is a newly created position that will provide financial oversight to the plant sustaining capital projects. This role is to provide finance business partner support to multiple organizations in manufacturing plant and mine locations across the globe.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide periodic reports of spending and performance to corporate, plant and business unit leadership.
• Lead the budgeting and management reporting systems for sustaining capital. Assist managers in the preparation of their budgets.
• Develop and execute cash flow forecasting models to cover all projects under the controller’s responsibility. Coordinate the upload of the forecasts into our reporting systems. Explain significant variances from the prior forecast.
• Develop and execute accrual accounting for material expenditures. This includes coordination with our shared services organization and will also cover material project percent of completion accounting where appropriate.
• Reconcile construction in progress with the balance sheet
• Oversee analysts within engineering (dotted line basis) that are conducting financial role activities. Particularly around financial forecasting and accounting activities.
• Assist in the handoff between the project ending, and the creation of the asset with the fixed asset accountants
• Verify fixed asset inventories are accomplished annually and lead with the resolution of discrepancies
• Maintain compliance with internal controls and other corporate policies and procedures related to the plant sustaining capital
• Coordinate with treasury for estimated cash needs by currency and country
• Keep project controlling and the executive management team alert of any future risks or significant cost impacts to the projects
• Provide the business and financial point of view to support project management decisions
• Assist the business unit leadership with reports, presentations, and communications
• Monitor the projects and anticipate upcoming issues. Work on counteractions before there is an impact.
• Participate as the finance representative for senior management reviews of sustaining projects
• Coordinate and standardize asset life decisions.
• Be the subject matter expert for capital versus expense decisions. Coordinate with the accounting organization for any grey area situations.
• Advise Business Unit senior leadership on project priorities
• Validate the cost, schedule and business risk estimates
• Develop performance metrics to assist project management to identify trends and risks
• Become a subject matter expert for project accounting and fixed asset accounting in SAP
• Identify the business processes that can impact the projects and work with the appropriate teams to streamline the processes
• Review SAP security roles and prevent a conflict of interest
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Global Project Controller
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience with Financial Analysis, Reconciliations, and General Ledger Accounting in a manufacturing company
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience with projects
• Strong demonstrated leadership abilities
• Experience with ERP systems at a multinational company
• Advanced communications skills
• Bandwidth to conduct reviews with executive level management and local plant management
• Fluency in English required
• CMA, CPA or similar certification a plus
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business Administration is required. Master’s degree is a plus
• Be able and willing to travel nationally as well as internationally as needed
Ideal candidate will possess:
• Track record of success in partnering with business leaders, demonstrating global collaboration across cultures and meeting/exceeding expectations working in a fast-paced environment
• The ability to organize a sea of data, into an organized system.
• The personality to interact briefly with many different managers and employees on an infrequent basis, and create a positive open communication
• Intellectual curiosity
• Highest standards of accuracy, precision, organization and attention to detail
• Breadth and capacity to take on other finance roles over time
• Must be self-motivated. Must be able to work as part of a team that includes multiple functional areas across the globe. Experience in identifying process flows and optimization.
• Will be able to live and work by Albemarle’s core values of Care, Curiosity, Courage, Collaboration, Humility, Integrity and Transparency.
• Computer skills: Some familiarity with asset creation and depreciation within an advanced ERP system required. SAP knowledge highly preferred.
• Expert level knowledge of manufacturing and project accounting
Choose to unlock your full POTENTIAL. Apply today.
Bachelors: Accounting, Bachelors: Finance, Masters: Business Administration/Management