Location: San Jose, CA - USA
Our Engineering team is growing and to get things done through all phases of software development requires us to scale the team to help in troubleshooting customer issues with a disciplined approach of using the playbooks, customer-focused responsiveness, by not cutting corners, and of course having fun while we are at it. We are looking for people who can take ownership and deliver with good problem-solving skills, and continuously learn. If you thrive in this fast-paced culture, come join us, we are changing how enterprises secure access to their applications.
What You Will Accomplish:
We are looking for a sustaining engineer for the Zscaler Private Access (ZPA) product in the Emerging Technology Group in Zscaler. The ZPA product is a mission-critical VPN product for enterprises as remote workers are growing in the post-COVID situation, our cloud-based service for large enterprise customers needs additional sustaining effort, while the engineering team works on growing new features and deals.
We seek Sustaining Engineers with strong engineering fundamentals, who are excited about solving problems in complex systems and have a strong customer focus.
This position will focus on the ZPA product issues reported by customers, and triaged by support need engineering attention to further debug and troubleshoot for the root cause and if applicable do the fix, or provide configuration changes by working with PM, Support, OPS, Engineering and QA teams.
The individual should be familiar with Linux, Windows, and various cloud infrastructure platforms and services (AWS, Azure) and container ecosystem components. You will be the Interface between support, the rest of the ZPA development, and QA teams for customer escalations and problem resolution. We are looking for someone who can come in and be hands-on in learning the product, solving problems, and managing escalations. You will be working closely with the core development team but will be interacting with many functions within the company.
- During your first month, you will learn the product
- During the first three months, you will start fixing bugs in the product to speed up learning
- You will be there with engineers during escalations to watch live and learn the types of issues and debugging process during the first three months
- After three months, you will work with support to start taking on escalations directly
- You will work with Support, Engineering, and management to define a better escalation process
- You will fix bugs and generate patches for the product within the first six months
- You will help build the sustaining team after six months you will champion supportability, debuggability in the product including reporting and metrics.
- Your one-year goal is to create a scenario where we are more proactive about support and avoiding escalation and spending more time on sustaining and patches.
What You Will Bring:
- Ability to understand the breadth of our product and to some depth, through usage, logs, and source code.
- You have knowledge of several of the following technologies: Networking, Linux systems, and cloud infrastructure and services knowledge and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, technical, and communication skills
- Ability to learn, evaluate and understand new technologies
- Experience in Sustaining Engineering for an enterprise product as an individual contributor 5 years+ with anyone with at least ONE of the following:
- Experience in C, with networking experience with systems background and understanding of security domains, with good knowledge of TCP, UDP, DNS, and operating systems.
- Experience in Java with Spring framework, familiarity with microservices architecture. Database knowledge of SQL constructs, and data modeling with a focus on enterprise, security applications. Familiarity with Hadoop and other data processing frameworks such as Spark, Kafka, Storm, and Elastic search and DRUID search
- Working knowledge of cloud infrastructure services on AWS/Azure.
- Debug and troubleshoot customer problems from Logs, diagnostics information, and source code.
- You deal well with customers and remain calm under stress
- You can understand deficiencies in the product for troubleshooting capabilities and remedy the same
- You have the coding ability to develop fixes for bugs and to create patches
- Experience with enterprise distributed software. Networking or security products experience a plus.
- Possess excellent organization, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated flexibility in working with customers and engineering to resolve issues quickly
- Ability to root cause and provide feedback to the engineering, QA and cross-functional teams.
What You Can Expect:
- An environment where you will be working on highly regulated industry standards and frameworks supporting both commercial and Federal businesses.
- A fun, passionate, and collaborative workplace.
- Competitive salary and benefits, including equity.
- The pace and excitement of working for a Silicon Valley Unicorn.
- Zscaler is the world’s leading software-as-a-service security platform.
- We deliver best of breed security services with unprecedented scale.
- We protect 15 million users, in 3,250 organizations, across 185+ countries.
- Blue Chip Customers (200 of Global 2,000 in our portfolio).
- Glassdoor rating of 4.7/5.0 + 98% CEO Approval = Exceptional place to work!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.