Plantronics is a global leader in business and consumer audio communications. For more than 50 years, we’ve been driven by a single obsession to support our customers’ most important needs: experiencing and facilitating simple and clear communications while enjoying distraction-free environments.
We are a global team with zeal for fulfilling our vision through innovation and rigorous execution. Our company is made up of smart, highly-capable, inquisitive people who bring their best selves to work each day and treat others as we wish to be treated. Plantronics people embrace discovery and invention, take risks, and incorporate the things we learn into the things we do. In creating Unified Communications and customer service solutions, software analytics, and Bluetooth headsets, Plantronics delivers high-quality communications solutions that our customers count on today, while relentlessly innovating on behalf of their future.
Mission: We discover and invent the tools and technologies that provide a focused and distraction-free environment for you to perform at your best.
The Surfacing Designer will be part of the Technical Development and IndustrialDesign team. Primary responsibilities include working with IndustrialDesigners, Mechanical and Tooling Engineers, as well as our manufacturing partners to develop world-class communication products. The deliverable of the Surfacing Designer is the development and execution of final external surface data created in Pro/Engineer / Creo. Development includes the enhancement of existing products as well as the development of new product designs and concepts.
This position reports to the ID Technical Development Manager.
The Surfacing designer will be responsible for:
- Work with the industrialdesign team (Product, User Experience, Human Factors, CMF, and Advanced Technologydesigners) in the development of digital models ranging from rough concepts and prototypes to final surface models
- Understand and support mechanical engineering, tooling, and manufacturing requirements while bringing design intent through to production
- Incorporate Human Factors and User Interface in the development of model iterations for the optimization of comfort fit and stability
- Provide necessary information to hard modelers to develop appearance models
- Act as a liaison between Mechanical Engineering, tooling and manufacturing
- Participate in the creative development of new concepts and the evolution of concepts in development
- Creating schedules and planning as required
The Ideal candidate:
The Surfacing Designer will be an intelligent, competent individual with integrity and accountability that works well in a team environment. He/she will be highly motivated, competitive, self-confident, and entrepreneurial and attracted to challenging opportunities within a rapidly growing environment. He/she will posses strong written and verbal communication skills. He/she will have strong interpersonal skills and the ability and desire to work with a highly creative team. The ideal candidate will possess the following skills/experience:
- 5+ years industry experiencedesired in the development of A-class, organic, C2 continuous surface models
- Technical experience with mechanical engineering, tooling, and manufacturing of consumer product
- Solid grasp of Pro-E / Creo advanced surfacing techniques. Additional 3D modeling software experiences including Alias, Rhino and NX a plus
- Qualified candidates will have experience in scheduling, will be well organized and have the ability and commitment to meet tight designschedules: We don’t miss deadlines
- Familiarity with rapid prototyping, SLA’s and CNC Models a plus
- An understanding of interfacing electronics to ME architecture and experience with consumer products, especially electronics and communication product a plus
- Candidate will be able to balance technical requirements with design intricacies and design intent; candidate should be able to embrace mechanical engineering requirements while representing and maintaining industrialdesign requirements
- He/She will have demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced team environment
- He/She will be experienced in making products for high volume production where cost control, reliability and manufacturability while maintaining aggressive schedules
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering, IndustrialDesign or equivalent degree is highly desired
- 5+ years experience or scholastic training for product development using CAD software
- ME, ID or related degree OR 5+ years working in IndustrialDesign or Mechanical Engineering design role
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or on the basis of disability.
To all recruitment agencies: Plantronics does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Plantronics employees or any other company location. Plantronics is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.