Higher Ground is looking for a Support Engineer to help with troubleshooting, triaging and resolving technical issues that our users and partners encounter in our learning platform and related technologies. In this role you will work closely with our Customer Support, Partner Success, Software Engineering, and Site Reliability Engineering staff to review issues that have been escalated, then investigate and resolve those issues independently, or further escalate to other engineers.
The ideal candidate should be well-versed with the entire software development lifecycle from development to production monitoring. There is no shortage of interesting technical problems to solve and opportunities to learn.
Key responsibilities are as follows.
- Deeply understand the platform from a user’s perspective in order to understand what is or isn’t expected behavior.
- Review technical issues raised by front-line support staff to verify validity, scope, and impact.
- Communicate with non-technical staff to gather context on technical issues.
- Apply known solutions for known issues, using UI-based and command-line based tools.
- Clearly and comprehensively document information gathered during investigation and/or resolution in an issue tracking system.
- Contribute to written documentation repositories, such as knowledge-bases and playbooks.
- If/as able, perform cursory investigations into the source code to assist in issue resolution or independently fix simple bugs.
- If/as able, write scripts and other software tools to automate or expedite resolution to common issues.
- Actively participate in improving support processes.
- Continuously learn and expand technical skills and knowledge.
- Be a self-starter with the ability to work in a cross functional team-based environment
- Build and maintain strong relationships across the company
Apply if you meet 80% of the requirements and feel like you can meet the rest with some additional support.
- Self-directed learner and problem solver.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Basic familiarity with Python or similar scripting languages.
- Basic familiarity with SQL.
- Basic familiarity with command line tools and shell scripting.
We’d really love to talk to you if you have ...
- A strong interest in education, particularly Montessori.
- A background in education or teaching.
- Previous experience in technical support or customer support.
- A desire to expand technical skills, potentially towards a software engineering role.