Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
Purpose of Position
The Supply Chain Solutions Manager is responsible for driving the OFC’s digital SC transformation by building capabilities globally that will enable scalability and network optimization. Responsibilities include leading large-scale strategic initiatives, process governance, data quality, and advanced analytics.
The OFC Supply Chain Solutions Manager will leverage emerging digital technologies to drive SC Innovation and create value by potentially creating new sources of revenue, rationalizing cost structure, and enhancing the speed of technology adoption. Collectively, these activities will improve customer experience, cost to serve, demand planning and inventory efficiencies along with building capabilities to enable growth.
- Co-lead with division IT and develop digital ERP architecture strategy and roadmap
- Act as a liaison with EBS organization
- Develop business resource strategy and acquire business resources for SAP and ERP deployments
- Develop end-to-end tools to improve forecast, demand planning, sourcing and order entry and commit processes between OCS, Cables Manufacturing, Fiber, and suppliers.
- Lead process and data governance to achieve global enterprise processes, data standards, metrics, and IT enablement that accommodate uniqueness amongst growth programs, businesses and geographies
- Provide advanced reporting/analytics solutions to significantly increase visibility and real time data decision making capabilities
- Collaborate with and build positive and productive relationships with OFC program/business leaders, customers, suppliers, and other functions to create and implement new supply chain capabilities
- Develop relationships via industry associations and lead external benchmarking of best practices and emerging digital technologies
- Develop goals and objectives for the OFC Supply Chain Process Excellence Team in alignment with the OFC SC Strategy and program/business needs
- Provide ongoing development, coaching and performance management to the team and ensure a high level of performance.
- Create the conditions that enable team members to succeed, learn, and enjoy their work
- Organization could grow to 3-4 direct reports or as required by OFC’s volume of active growth programs
- Candidate will heavily influence OFC program/business leaders, project managers, scientists and functional leaders
- Overall success in advancing the OFC’s systems roadmap and Process Excellence initiatives in support of OFC’s Supply Chain Strategy.
- Development of short and long term roadmaps in support of stated supply chain strategies. Development of appropriate annual and 5 year budgets of strategic capital and expense in support of those plans.
Leadership Competencies (Knowledge, skills and behaviors)
- Attracts and Cultivates SC Talent
- Building effective high-performing teams
- Cross cultural sensitivity
- Integrity and trust
- Motivating others
- Negotiation skills
- Cost understanding
- Cultivates Innovation
- Drives Vision & Purpose
- End-to-End Supply Chain, Advanced Analytics, Problem Solving, and Business Acumen
- Strategic Mindset
- Customer focus
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Drive for results
- Organizing and planning
- High levels of curiosity and learning agility
- Strong work ethic, “can do” attitude, and “roll-up your sleeves” mentality
- Transparent, fact-based, and oriented toward process, action, and results
- Passionate and energetic with the ability to motivate and inspire
- Ability to effectively manage a high degree of change and ambiguity and utilize influence versus control. This is required both up as well as across the organization
- Effective written, verbal communication and presentation skills across all levels of the organization.
- Must be able to deliver key messages through presentations, written and verbal communication
- Skills in conflict management; seeks win-win solutions. Resolves problems vs. escalating
- Demonstrate Drive and Commitment
Travel Requirements: up to 30% or as required. Some international travel is required.
Location: OFC NA Plant: Wilmington, Concord, Winston-Salem, Hickory, Newton
Required Experience and Education
- B.S. degree is required (in Engineering, IT, Business or Supply Chain field)
- MBA in Finance, Accounting, or Supply Chain or equivalent desired
- 10 years of multi business/function experience in Project Management and Managerial Leadership in Supply Chain, Quality, Operations, and Engineering
- Broad supply chain experience for a $1B+ business operating in an ERP environment (SAP ECC 6.0 or S/4HANA preferred) is required. Global experience is preferred
- Proven track record of successfully leading complex projects and process redesigns
- Supply Chain expertise gained through executive program training, certification, and/or industry associations is strongly preferred
- Valued partnerships with stakeholders, communicating effectively, influencing senior leaders, leading change, applying emotional intelligence, assessing talent, and employing analytics