The Supplier Quality Engineer (SQE) position is considered a resource for supplier quality knowledge and systems. The SQE is responsible for the creation, implementation and execution of methods and programs to ensure that suppliers have systems that meet specifications and standards. This position requires the leadership and facilitation skills necessary to lead/support the planning, directing and executing activities concerned with supplier corrective action and continuous improvement (CI). These activities include data-driven analysis and problem solving of quality issues to improve the performance of the supply base.
- Leads supplierquality portion of MRB / non-conformance product issues using established systems
- Executes Quality tools that apply to the product and suppliers assigned. Quality Engineering tools such as: contract review, sampling plans, auditing principals, SPC, MSA, First Articles, FMEA, PFMEA, calibration systems, etc to understand and ultimately resolve issues in the supply base.
- Solid understanding and implementationof the relevant product or customer specifications, flow down documents, procedures, engineering or process drawings and regulating agent body requirements that apply to the products and suppliers assigned
- Issues, monitors and maintains corrective action database
- Works effectively with suppliers to resolve problems using Root Cause Corrective Actions (RCCA) tools
- Proactively analyze supplier performance data to determine continuous improvement opportunities to improve supplier performance.
- Utilizes available data to establish schedules and perform required audits of assigned suppliers
- Maintains accurate and current supplier quality records, such as supplier audits, certifications, corrective action responses, and database screens
- Consult and advisewith the Sourcing team to select and manage assigned suppliers
- Travel to assigned suppliers, as necessary (domestic and international)
- Leads/performs supplier business assessment activity
- Performs Design of Experiments (DOE) as needed
- Participates in supplier part family transitions and new product development activities
- Executes and manages established Quality plan for assigned suppliers, based upon:
- Type and complexity of product being procured
- Quality history of supplier
- Requirements placed upon items
- Level of suppliers demonstrated process control
- Supports and drivescontinuous improvement activities
- Mentors less experienced SQE's and Supplier Quality Techs, as required.
- Participate and lead CI teams for internal process development.
- Leads, directs and manages multiple projects effectively
Working Environment / Physical Activities:
- Work is generally performed in a normal office environment, however the job may take the member into various areas of the plant where there is possible exposure to noise, chemical solutions, dust, and temperatures above 80 degrees F.
- Travel to and work performed in supplier facilities may also expose the member to stated environments.
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to present information effectively, formally and informally
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability effectively work at all levels Team player
- Self-starting, minimal supervision required
- Detail oriented
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Strong facilitation skills
- Solid understanding of AS9100, ISO-9000/2000, QS-9000 and/or TS-16949
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Continuous Improvement Methodologies (6 Sigma, Lean Mfg. etc.)
- Demonstrated experience conducting supplier quality audits with effective follow up.
- Greenbelt required; black belt preferred
- Experience with supplier development processes
Education or Formal Training:
- 4 year degree in technical field or 5-7 years of quality, manufacturing, or process control experience.
- Prefer ASQ certification
7+ years quality engineering experience