As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will develop and execute commercial quality processes for the design, test and manufacture of launch vehicles, spacecraft, and related technologies. You will be responsible to drive quality products throughout the organization by maintaining a corporate culture that emphasizes accountability, discipline, and attention to detail at all levels. You must have a passion for solving complex problems and providing operable solutions; act with minimal direction and on your own initiative; and be adaptable as you will work on a variety of applications and systems.
We are looking for an individual that can implement innovative quality initiatives, focused primarily on supplier quality initiatives for valves and fluid components in support of the manufacturing of orbital and sub-orbital launch vehicles, as well as engines. You will report to the Director of Safety & Mission Assurance. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Fully support the Supply Chain Strategic Commodity Manager & associated buyers for valves and fluid components
- Evaluate suitability and stability of current and potential suppliers with regard to quality, throughput, and technical capability
- Lead suppliers through resolving discrepancies, including corrective and preventive actions, as well as recovery plans
- Lead cross-functional teams to develop strategies for obtaining first time quality throughout the supply chain
- Support program reviews with key suppliers to ensure support of long-term business objectives
- Communicate supplier performance to senior management
- Conduct site surveys for potential suppliers, participate in supplier pre-ship reviews, quality audits, source inspections and hardware acceptance, corrective actions, and foster continuous improvement with suppliers
- Support supplier development and qualification including supplier assessment and certifications
- Establish, implement, and maintain quality system processes that support products within a production environment
- Responsible for ‘First time Quality’ of hardware coming from suppliers
- Develop pro-active means to identify nonconforming hardware (at point of defect vs independent assessment)
- Drive key Quality initiatives within the valves and fluid components supplier base, such as FOD prevention and Zero-Defect methodology (no escapes)
- Measure, analyze, and improve supplier quality system performance consistent with organization quality goals
- Facilitate troubleshooting of quality issues with diverse teams, lead causal analysis activities to drive to root cause and corrective action. Drive containment of anomalies, as well as leadership within hardware failure investigations.
- Interface with external customers on quality related concerns
- Minimum of a B.S. in Engineering or Science
- 10+ years’ industry experience in the aerospace manufacturing field with at least 5 years in a supplier quality engineering role
- Must be able to travel 50% of time and to remote sites
- Quality assurance experience in production environment
- Aerospace, space launch, or military or commercial aviationpreferred
- Familiarity with AS9100 or ISO9000 Quality Management System and/or related quality systems and programs
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Experience with the manufacturing and quality features associated with valve and fluid component processes
- Quality assurance experience in a valve and fluid component production environment
- Relevant experience in transitioning a product from development, through production to operations
- Relevant experience in AS9145, Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process
- American Society of Quality, Certified Quality Engineer certification
- Six Sigma Green, Black Belt, or comparable certification