The Supplier Quality Engineer is responsible for managing the Quality of procured goods, including components and finished goods. This position is in Mason, Ohio, and will include management of suppliers throughout the U.S. Primary duties are focused on developing, maintaining, monitoring, and issue resolution for Product Quality, supporting Design Transfer to Production for current and future products, and monitoring and insuring compliance to L3Harris Quality Systems for strategic suppliers manufacturing L3Harris finished goods.
This position requires a solid understanding of vendor development and with vendor production processes and systems along with special manufacturing practices over a wide range of commodities, including electro-optical, mechanical and electronic. The candidate must possess the ability to support, maintain and improve the supplier base in compliance with customer requirements and AS9100D.
The successful candidate must be self-directed, motivated and driven. The candidate must be able to function independently in front of a wide range of supplier, customer and internal representatives. The candidate must also take the lead in the resolution of product, process and system issues and nonconformance. The candidate will be responsible to manage those issues to closure, often in concert with supplier and customer representatives. The candidate must have a clear understanding of problem-solving techniques, along with effective CAPA skills to ensure that the developing supplier base is providing product that meets or exceeds all expectations.Essential Functions:
- Work with customer and the program team in planning for supplier engagement, development, quality acceptance and product buy-off.
- Collect and evaluate supplier quality, NC and yield data to identify trends for process improvement opportunities.
- Conduct Supplier Quality Audits of new and existing suppliers as required to determine adherence to acceptable quality requirements, standards, and regulations.
- Utilizing Green Belt and Lean techniques, work with suppliers to effect CAPA toward product, process and production issues.
- Review supplier manufacturing processes, collaborate with suppliers on process improvement and value enhancement opportunities.
- Partner with Receiving Inspection to ensure smooth flow of conforming hardware into the plant.
- Perform timely disposition of NC material, issue and manage Supplier Corrective Action Requests (SCAR) to closure
- Regularly communicate with Program Management, Contracts, Engineering, Supplier Quality Assurance (SQA) and Supply Chain internally to identify opportunities for efficiency, planning, quality and productivity improvement.
- Develop quality and acceptance plans with suppliers to ensure quality products.
- Utilizing developed documentation, perform in-process and final acceptance of supplier products.
- Collect and maintain supplier performance metrics.
- Coordinate with program team to ensure awareness to known purchased part or product quality issues.
- In concert with Configuration Management, participate in the change notice process to assure awareness and effective implementation to design changes.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- This position requires a Bachelor's Degree (Engineering preferred).
- Minimum 8 years of experience in Quality Engineering.
- The candidate should be open to travel associated with this position. Travel will be typically 10% but may be as much as up to 25% on occasion.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical and mechanical drawings of complex nature is required.
- Familiarity with complex mechanical inspection and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing is a plus.
- Familiarity with problem-solving tools such as 8D, Six Sigma, Value Stream Mapping, and CAPA is desired.
- Must possess effective communications skills, both oral and written for all levels of the organization.
- Candidates with Aerospace or Defense Manufacturing experience is desired.
- A working familiarity of AS9100, ISO9001, J-STD Workmanship, ANSI J-Standards (Class 3) and IPC Workmanship Standards (Class 3) is desired.
- Must have vendor and customer interface experience.
- Experience and background in electro-optics, machining, circuit card assembly and special processes (welding, brazing, plating etc.) is desired.
- Lean Manufacturing and Green Belt certification is a plus.
- Must work well with others in a team and commodity buying structure and have experience in leading cross-functional teams in accomplishing goals.
- Must be able to lead suppliers toward meeting or exceeding program goals.
- Ability to multi-task in an environment of competing priorities.
- Must conduct themselves in a professional, constructive, and cooperative manner with all levels of supplier, customer and internal representatives.
- Must have computer skills including proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Power Point and Access.
- Must have ability to work independently and be self-directed to complete tasks.
- Knowledge of AS9100 and/or ISO 9001
- Knowledge of CMMI, AS9146, ANSI/ESD S20.20 and/or ISO 17025 is a plus
- Knowledge of Counterfeit Parts processes and standards including SAE AS5553
- Knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) and Zero Defect Planning (ZDP)
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer or Certified Supplier Quality Professional is a plus, including five or more years of experience with AS9100 and/or ISO based systems.
- Previous experience in TipQA is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Works well with management and peers, can work well with other functions and be comfortable briefing site leadership
- Must be able to identify, interpret and apply problem solving tools such as root cause analysis, DMAIC, VSM, PDCA and CAPA.