Supplier Quality Engineer
Supplier Quality Engineer
Purpose of the Job - Local Details
This position is responsible for the approval, launch performance, ongoing production quality and optimization of Client's supply base.
Primary Responsibilities - Local Details
Assessing and Qualifying new suppliers. (Develop & Launch)
- Working with Purchasing to manage Commodity Strategies and Supplier Selection. (Develop & Launch)
- Ensuring all technical aspects of the supplier agreement is closed prior to award of new business. (Develop & Launch)
- Ensuring the supplier follows the K2 supplier development and advanced quality planning process through periodic detailed reviews with supplier program and plant management. (Develop & Launch)
- Solving process and design problems with suppliers during development / pre-launch using effective problem solving techniques. (Develop & Launch)
- Reporting supplier program / APQP status. (Develop & Launch)
- Managing supplier part approval (PPAP) to completion – initially and with every engineering change. (Develop & Launch, Make & Deliver)
- Establishing quality targets with suppliers; monitoring their performance in comparison to these targets; coordinating supplier quality performance evaluation and workshops. (Make & Deliver)
- Conducting Audits (Traceability, Process or Product) in support of client’s Targeted Objective. (Make & Deliver)
- Working with given Problem/Focus Suppliers to improve quality performance and verify the effectiveness of the actions. (Make & Deliver)
- “Crisis” Supplier Management through on-site involvement, effective communication & collaborative and method-based problem solving. (Make & Deliver)
Major Challenges - Local Details (the most difficult problems or major challenges faced in this job)
Driving product quality without adding cost. Maintaining a good working relationship with the supply base while pushing suppliers for quality improvements.
Decision Making Authority - Local Details
Supplier approval recommendations, PPAP approvals, Run@Rate approvals, supplier sourcing recommendations, supplier escalation recommendations
Working Relationships - Local Details (the nature and purpose of internal and external contacts)
- Supplier Management
- Supplier Quality Engineering
- Supplier Program Managers
- Plant Management
- Program Managers
- Product Engineers
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities - Local Details
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field (preferred)
• 7+ years technical automotive work experience (supplier quality, program/project management, manufacturing or engineering).
(Less experience would be considered with the right attitude, aptitude and eagerness to learn.)
• Must have an understanding of APQP & PPAP (FMEAs, Control Plans, MSA, etc.)
• Must have demonstrated experience with method-based problem solving.
• Six Sigma Green Belt or equivalent preferred.
• Experience with the implementation of lean principles.
• Understanding of TS16949:2002 quality standard.
• Excellent computer, business software skills.
• Must be able to travel frequently (up to 70%)
• Foreign languages skills a benefit.