Job Description Summary:
The Pharmacy Supervisor is a licensed professional who isresponsible for providing safe and appropriate pharmacy services to Option Care patients in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Option Care, current pharmacy practice professional standards, andother regulatory entities. The pharmacy supervisor isresponsible for the coordination of patient services with the nursing, delivery and reimbursement departments. The pharmacy supervisor isresponsible at an elementary level for the appropriate purchasing, control andsecurityof all drug products and medical supplies.
- Delivers and manages appropriate patient care. Determines suitability of patients for home care. Assesses patients' suitability for home care in accordance with Option Care policies.
- Directs the daily activities of the pharmacy department so that they reflect a priority on the delivery of pharmaceutical care. Arranges work activities so that the pharmaceutical-care needs of patients are met.
- Oversees the state and federal regulatory requirements set forth to operate an alternate site pharmacy. May act as the pharmacist in charge per state regulation. Assists the director of pharmacy with ensuring that all state and federal pharmacy and controlled substance licensure requirements are current and valid.
- Ensures all appropriate staff is trained to effectively use computers and admixture devices to increase efficiency in performing practice responsibilities and observes legal and ethical guidelines for safeguarding the confidentiality of patient and proprietary Option Care information.
- Provides support to sales professionals and general manager by speaking knowledgeably of the scope of services that are available through Option Care. Description of available services is accurate. Meets with managed care organizations and other accounts to facilitate education regarding available services.
- Oversees the purchase, management and security of all medications, pumps and medical supplies in accordance with the Option Care policies and formulary guidelines.
- Designs, recommends, monitors and evaluates patient-specific pharmacy care plans for the pharmacotherapy of home care patients.
- Modifies the pharmacy care plans for home care patients based on evaluation of monitoring data and other pertinent patient-specific information. Competent in use of pharmacokinetic principles and formulas. Competent in assessing patient laboratory values.
- Ensures that medications are prepared and dispensed using appropriate techniques and following Option Care’ policies and procedures. Equipment is accurately calibrated.
- Provides in-service education to physicians, nurses, pharmacy technicians, and other practitioners on home care pharmacy-related issues. Designs effective educational programs for physicians, nurses, pharmacy technicians, and other practitioners on home care pharmacy-related issues.
- Manages and utilizes pharmacy staff and supports personnel effectively. Prioritizes the workload and organizes the workflow, taking into account available resources.
- Coordinates and participates in on-callresponsibilities of the pharmacy department.
Supervisory Responsibilities: (i.e. hiring, recommending/approving promotions and pay increases, scheduling, performance reviews, discipline, etc.)
Basic Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- Graduate of an accredited school of pharmacy
- Current, active Pharmacy license as granted by the State Board of Pharmacy
- One of the following: (a) At least one 1 year of experience in clean room or other pharmacy setting (b) knowledge of non-sterile compounding, immunizations and MTM (c) completion of an ASHP accredited Pharmacy Residency Program, (d) completion of an Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experienceassociated with an accredited school of pharmacy or (e) equivalent experience as approved by the National Director of Pharmacy and/or VP of Clinical Services
Basic Qualifications & Interests:
- Access to a reliable means of transportation which will enable the incumbents to make home visits to treat/attend to their patients. If such means of transportation would include a personal vehicle, a valid driver’s license and a proof of insurance would be required.
- Experience using time management skills such as prioritizing/organizing and tracking details and meeting deadlines of multiple projects with varying completion dates.
- Experience providing customer service to internal and external customers, including meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: opening a document, cutting, pasting and aligning text, selecting font type and size, changing margins and column width, sorting, inserting bullets, pictures and dates, using find and replace, undo, spell check, track changes, review pane and/or print functions).
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: opening a workbook, inserting a row, selecting font style and size, formatting cells as currency, using copy, paste and save functions, aligning text, selecting cells, renaming a worksheet, inserting a column, selecting a chart style, inserting a worksheet, setting margins, selecting page orientation, using spell check and/or printing worksheets).
- Basic skill level in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: inserting, rearranging, hiding and deleting slides, navigating between slides, increasing list level, adding, centering and editing text, changing views, inserting a table or a note, moving objects, printing outline view and/or running a slide show).
- At least 1 year of experience directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work.
- At least 1 year of experience in indirect management of team members, including assisting in the development, training and assignment of work/projects to other team members.
Travel Requirements: Willing to travel up to 5 % of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
PreferredQualifications & Interests:
- Post-graduate program in clinical pharmacy service.
- Required certification from the Board in Nutrition Support Pharmacy, Pharmacotherapy or other clinical pharmacy practice area.
- At least 1 year of experience managing inventory and logistics.
- Active member of a state or national professional organization.
- At least 3 years of experience compounding sterile products and managing complex infusion patients.
- At least 1 year of experience overseeing purchasing and inventory process of all pharmaceutical and related substances and supplies.