Supervises a team of four to eight Credit Analysts and performs duties related to the underwriting of commercial loans typically $2.5MM - $15MM in size for customers with revenues from $2.5MM to $75MM. In a bank setting, collaborates frequently with loan officers and credit approvers; interacts with and provides consultation to customers. Performs research and financial and statistical analysis to determine and support the clients' credit worthiness while minimizing risk exposure. Prepares analysis, reports and presentations for management review and regulatory reporting. Ensures all transactions and processing are in compliance with regulatory and company guidelines, policies and procedures.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs duties related to the credit review of commercial manually underwritten loans, with a primary focus on very large, complex commercial loans. Utilizes independent judgment and decision-making authority to make timely and effective decisions, while managing the assessment of the most complex, high-dollar and high-risk clients and prospective clients. Applies expert and in-depth knowledge of credit/risk management processes to ensure the appropriate balance between company risk and customer/client focus and relationship is maintained. Communicates with division upper management as needed.
- Spreads financial statements, works with Dual Risk Rating and performs Credit Service Reviews. Researches to determine credit quality, character and soundness including, but not limited to, analysis of extensive statistical data & financial statements, sensitivity analysis, industry analysis, management assessment and guarantor analysis. Ensures the consistent use of well-supported and factual analyses and processes to determine and recommend risk ratings.
- Works with specific lenders to conduct loan portfolio management. Proactively prepares for renewals, performs calculation of borrowing bases, monitors covenants, etc.
- Refers to documented policies and procedures to guide and support the review and decision making process. Seeks the advice of the manager on more complex and questionable issues that are outside of the assigned scope.
- Follows standard operating procedures when preparing analyses, reports, and presentations for management review. Performs accurate spreading of historical financial statements; prepares prudent projections, free of repetitious spread numbers and superfluous narrative; and represents a clear focus on the merits, risks, and mitigating factors accordingly. Ensures each step of the process is in compliance with all company and regulatory guidelines, policies, procedures and methodology. Stays abreast of variations in laws across state boundaries, if applicable.
- Partners with loan officers to screen loan packages and collect "due diligence" materials; interacts with and provides consulting services to customers and accountants. Travels to customer locations frequently with loan officers. Provides analytical support for developing and maintaining credit studies, financial background information and other relevant data on present and prospective customers. Analyzes present and proposed lending and recommends optimum course of action to maximize profitability while providing a complete risk/delinquency analysis.
- Assists with the development and maintenance of management reporting systems, both manual and automated, that provide an accurate and readily available reference library of loan portfolios, clients current and historical data, reports, SOP, etc. Ensures all support documentation, both prepared and submitted, are in compliance and retained in accordance with the company's records retention policy.
- Supervises the day-to-day activities of a team of Credit Analysts. Provides leadership, direction and growth opportunities to members of the unit, performing those responsibilities in accordance with the Company's policies and applicable laws. Responsible for interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning or directing work, appraising performance, disciplining team members and resolving problems. Works with the Human Resources Department to resolve more complex team member-related issues.
- Each team member is expected to be aware of risk within their functional area. This includes observing all policies, procedures, laws, regulations and risk limits specific to their role. Additionally, they should raise and report known or suspected violations to the appropriate Company authority in a timely fashion.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Synovus is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in the workplace.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- 2+ years of supervisory or team lead experience
Additional Information Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related discipline
Minimum Experience: 8+ years job-specific credit underwriting experience in an organization of comparable size and industry; 2+ years of supervisory or team lead experience is preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Analyzing and interpreting complex corporate and personal financial statements and tax returns.
- Performing diverse complex analysis and preparing supporting documentation for management review.
- Expert knowledge of credit risk analysis/underwriting principles, methods, practices and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of financial accounting theory, methodology and logic
- Proficient at the advanced level with Microsoft Office applications including Word and Excel
- Proficient at the advanced level in department credit/lending systems and databases
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to meet service level agreements
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients to provide consultation concerning very large, complex commercial loans
- Ability to use work flow tool