The Supervisor, Accounting is responsible for determining, interpreting, and calculating financial transactions that require the application of accounting rules, supervision of Financial Accountants, financial accounting functions, analysis, reconciliations, regulatory reporting, and assisting the Senior Manager, Accounting in various accounting duties as assigned.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with BECU Competencies and Information Protection requirements.
- Supervise the activities of Financial Accountants. Review work prepared by accounting staff for compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), accounting procedures and regulatory requirements, format completeness, and classification of amounts and adequate supporting documentation.
- Assist in the maintenance and reconciliation of general ledger accounts in accordance with GAAP including accounting for assets and liabilities and the appropriate recognition of income and expenses..
- Perform and/or coordinate assigned month-end and year-end financial statement processes including but not limited to journal entries, analyzing income and expense activity, performing actual to plan/forecast variance analysis, and drafting narratives.
- Assess, analyze, update and make recommendations regarding financial accounting issues and internal controls, including assisting Credit Union departments with operational accounting issues.
- Assist Senior Manager, Accounting with planning and coordinating the annual financial statement and NCUA/DFI audit.
- Research, recommend, develop, test and implement functionality to meet business requirements.
- Supervise and/or perform required regulatory reporting as assigned. Provide ongoing training to staff to develop and encourage their performance.
- Develop and communicate job standards for staff and update as necessary.
- Administer BECU personnel policies as stated in the Employee Handbook in a fair and consistent manner.
- Ensure that written procedures are documented for all functions within area of job responsibility, and update as necessary, to provide staff with instruction and guidelines for operations.
- Maintain effective communication with all Credit Union employees to ensure coordination and exchange of information for accomplishing Credit Union goals.
- For the purpose of attaining Credit Union goals, it is the responsibility of each employee to strive for the continuous improvement of processes and quality of service.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of GAAP accounting principles, theories and practical applications.
- Excellent PC and database skills (Microsoft Office Suite), with the ability to learn and utilize new software.
- Excellent conceptual, organizational, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate in the English language.
- Effective leadership and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member while using discretion in decision making and sound judgment in problem solving.
- Full time hours required, with additional hours as necessary to accomplish objectives, goals, and projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent work or educational experience.
- Minimum five years of progressive accounting experience required.
- Previous supervisory/managerial experience preferred.
- CPA/CMA preferred.