The Superintendent of Pulp is accountable for the safety, environmental, quality, productivity, talent and cost management in the pulp mill. This position reports to the Manager, Pulp & Energy, and works with the team to identify the key actions needed to continually improve the results while having a positive impact on the culture.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage and actively develop the team, supporting them in meeting the goals of the department and the mill, along with succession and development planning for each team member.
- Set the performance expectation for the departments and assist the team in meeting established goals, driving performance and holding the team accountable for delivering the results.
- Coordinate activities in the department and between departments, maximizing opportunities where possible (examples include scheduled/unscheduled downtime, changes in production rates etc.).
- Develop, implement and follow safety, environmental, quality, productivity, talent and cost goals and action plans with other mill leaders.
- Promote awareness on Nekoosa Mission, Vision and Playbook elements through internal company correspondence, meetings and specific training programs.
- Ensure the quality of product meets or exceeds customer expectations through consistent use of quality systems, operator training and auditing.
- Ensure a high level of reliability within the department through the use of effective planning and scheduling, along with essential care and condition monitoring.
- Support the team to evaluate and troubleshoot problems or issues in the department, determining root cause and implementing actions to eliminate the problem.
- Identify opportunities to incorporate continuous improvement throughout the department that will improve safety, quality, productivity and cost.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical field (paper engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, etc.)
- 10 years of Craft Mill experience (Pulp/Power/Recovery area experience preferred)
- 5+ years of leadership experience
- Proven experience with reliability and continuous improvement principles and techniques
- Experience with unions
Critical Competencies for Success:
- Strong communication and people skills
- Strong leadership and decision making skills
- Strong ability to build positive relationships
- Strong coach and mentor, leading by example
- Strong ability to drive change as a change agent, leading to improved performance over time
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by law.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.