PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Superintendent you will deliver yard and train performance to the Operating Plan; including the development and execution of plans and strategies for safely, service and productivity to achieve financial results for assigned territory. You will ensure focused improvement in the development of the workforce for succession planning for operations position within own scope and otherstrategic initiatives that are forward looking 1-2 years.
- Optimize productivity (e.g. terminal velocity) by ensuring on-time train performance, yard performance and over the road fluidity to meet operating targets, customer requirements and executed consistently;
- Optimize development of employees and assist in establishing career development plans;
- Operate within a budget, control costs, and have input to capital budgets for their territory;
- Accountable for inputs and outputs of safety, service, productivity and financial metrics;
- Ensure safety plan process is rolled out and targets met;
- Effectively manage the workforce to ensure productivity and cost control;
- Ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements and provide input to Labour Relations for future contract negotiations;
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies and maintain effective working relationships (e.g. FRA, Transport Canada, etc.);
- Maintain constructive relationships with internal and external customers;
- Ensure timely implementation of processes identified and directed through corporate initiatives (e.g. Lean);
- Accountable for the inventory management for terminals and line of road in their areas of responsibility;
- Ownership of all rail cars idle 24 hours or longer for any reason;
- Accountable for full understanding of business requirements, service commitments and any service penalty conditions for customers in their geographic area;
- Accountable for the understanding of, and capability to personally access/use any and all systems and technology used by their staff (i.e. TYES, NEXUS, AIR).
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- 10 years of railway operations experience;
- Understanding of collective agreements and managing unionized labor force;
- Effective knowledge of terminal/road operations;
- Knowledge of Company policies, procedures, Federal and Provincial regulations and their application;
- Ability to identify, understand and resolve local operating issues and people concerns;
- Must have a full understanding of your operating budget;
- Ability to interact effectively with regulators, labor leaders and customers;
- Ability to communicate with all levels (all media, including writing, phone, computer);
- Willing to solicit different/new ideas and the ability to accept change;
- Ability to build a solid team and influence the team to strive for success and move to the next level;
- Ability to effectively communicate messages in a way that will be understood readily by all employees;
- Ability to interact with employees at all levels within Operations;
- Ability to interact with multiple railroads;
- Willingness to interact effectively and sensitively with governmental and regulatory bodies;
- Demonstrate integrity in interacting with others;
- Work under pressure and adapt to change.
- Possess and apply leadership practices;
- Ability to drill down, understand root cause and resolve complex issues;
- Results focused with an ability to apply oneself to support 24x7 operations.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety critical all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.