In order to accomplish our growth goal Milhouse Engineering & Construction, Inc. welcomes a brand new Substation Engineering Manager to help lay our foundations in Atlanta, GA. The Substation Engineering Manager will lead a team on complex design and project engineering on substation projects for utility companies across the nation.
As the Substation Manager, you will develop and lead a team performing protective system designs, physical layout designs, and calculations, as well as oversee and coordinate with other disciplines on substation projects. Essentially your key focus will be on the delivery of substation automation systems for our high voltage substation projects. Our projects include working within multi-disciplinary teams to assist in developing efficient and reliable solutions for intricate substation projects.
In turn, you will be rewarded with the chance to grow and develop within a close-knit and family orientated team that anticipates significant growth on the horizon. Your leadership experience, technical nonce and ability to hit the ground running is needed as we continue to build out our team.
- Coordinate / communicate project status with client representative and others
- Lead and oversee execution of substation designs for client with regulatory requirements.
- Manage mid to large size projects and programs
- Apply clients standards, guidelines, specifications, practices and procedures or appropriate industry standards in preparing design drawings as well as coordinate design activities to ensure installation and operations will comply with all specifications, codes, and client requirements
- Regularly communicate and coordinate project activities with internal team members and to build relationships with clients
- Lead teams in the design and delivery of green and brown field high voltage electrical substation project
- Develop team by driving recruitment with support from our Talent Team.
- Develop and maintain project documentation regarding protection and control design and construction
- Support the development of plans & sections, details, control building layouts, P&C one line diagram, AC/DC schematics, control panel layout and wiring diagram, station service AC/DC distribution diagram, bill of material, cable schedule, etc.
- Drive quality and keep Milhouse Engineering leadership advised of all quality
- Drive schedule and budget adherence.
- Manage project subordinates and/or other project/discipline resources to quality, schedule and budget requirements.
- Support vendor drawing review and disposition
- Creating and enforce project quality plans
- Support data and document entry into various platforms
- Reporting safety, health and quality issues to management.
- Prepare contract amendments, change order documentation, and claims documentation.
- Assist management as directed.
- Ability to consistently work independently and present high quality of work.
- Advanced presentation, written, verbal communication skills
- Ability to role up sleeves and support project execution as needed
Required Education, Skills and Abilities:
- Four year technical degree from an ABET accredited institution.
- Professional registration (or plan to obtain within 2 years).
- Minimum Seven (7) years of protection & control / substation design engineering experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Familiar with discipline specific design software and design management systems.
- Familiar with Grounding Calculations
- Memberships and active participation in discipline specific professional organizations such as IEEE.
- Experience with power system studies such as short circuit and coordination studies.
- Experience with preparing relay settings.
- Familiarity with applicable IEEE / EIC codes and standards.
- Understanding of CAD software.
- Ability to estimate, plan, and schedule substation projects
- Ability to support proposal activities
- Valid Driver’s License
Milhouse Engineering & Construction, Inc. was founded in 2001 with the goal of building the best engineering company in the country. It was based on the belief that if we hired great people, fueled their passion while challenging them to excel, and maintained a laser focus on the needs of your clients, success would come- and so it has. Our portfolio of successful projects continues to grow, our family of highly satisfied clients continues to expand, and our staff just gets better and better.
We are a unique, Chicago-based firm whose collective passion, vision and expertise has led to phenomenal growth and being named “Chicago’s 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For” 15 years in a row! With more than 200 talented professionals and offices across the country, Milhouse offers a dynamic work environment where there is no limit to what you can achieve if you are willing to go after it.