Reporting Relationships: Reports to Managing Trial Attorney
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads, directly represents or provides subject matter expertise on significant, high-risk or complex legal matters, representing clients in trials or hearings before courts or agencies, including appeals and arbitrations. May lead a team in a specialized practice area.
- Reviews and evaluates cases and lawsuits in accordance with established NTD Best Practices Guidelines. Proficiently interprets and explains insurance contracts and coverage issues; strong knowledge of state and local practices and rules.
- Works with client and claims to establish, communicate and implement Litigation Plan. Keeps client and claims fully informed. Fosters, develops and promotes relationships with Claims; has contact with Claims management and uses initiative to help develop, expand and retain business.
- Prepares and tries cases regardless of complexity and unlimited exposure in all courts and agencies, including cases involving toxic substances, extensive injuries, permanent injuries and/or ongoing treatment. Cases may involve inflammatory factors (DUI, death of a child, egregious).
- Recognizes, participates and promotes settlement opportunities. Negotiates as authorized. Trains other attorneys on negotiation skills and tactics
- Takes depositions of parties and experts; obtains meaningful discovery and participates in motions practice as warranted. May mentor other trial attorneys with respect to deposition practices and techniques.
- May train or mentor less experienced trial attorneys or paralegals on procedural or legal issues. May create and conduct training for Claims.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: JD Degree from an accredited law school.
License/Certification/Designation: Currently licensed as an attorney in an appropriate U.S. jurisdiction. Maintains an active license in the state in which the position is located.
Experience: Seasoned attorney in an area of law. Typically has ten or more years of civil litigation, trial experience and/or agency hearing representation experience, as well as substantial jury trial experience as lead counsel.