LinQuest is seeking a Subject Matter Expert in Military Satellite Communications (MILSATCOM) to serve as the SATCOM Architect supporting the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Space Acquisition and Integration (SAF/SP) at the Pentagon.
SAF/SP has overall responsibility for space policy, enterprise architectures, acquisition oversight, issue integration, and strategy for the Department of the Air Force (DAF).
This office also provides the principal support to the Secretary of the Air Force (SecAF) on space matters and coordinates activities across the DAF space enterprise. The SAF/SP staff prepares policies for approval and drafts official guidance and procedures via DAF publications to ensure implementation of those policies.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of the team defining our Nation’s Space Enterprise and New Acquisition processes required to deliver Space Capability on rapid timelines.Responsibilities
The incumbent provides direct support to the Director of Space Architecture (SAF/SPA) with the following tasks:
- Develop architecture solutions for MILSATCOM—Protected and Unprotected, Narrowband and Wideband Communication systems.
- Maintain up-to-date insight of MILSATCOM programs, their associated ground infrastructures and related command and control systems.
- Assess and evaluate communications programs, architecture implementations, and command and control systems for impacts to achieving capability goals and priorities.
- Develop actionable solutions across the full range of SATCOM issues to assist Department leaders in determining appropriate policy, planning, programming, and operational guidance.
- Support Policy, Strategy, and Plan Development for the SATCOM Area.
- Lead working groups and facilitate developing solutions to complex, multi-faceted systems engineering and operational problems
- Build effective working relationships across the DoD space community, including within Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), and Space Operations Command.
- Review and assess operational and system level SATCOM architectures to assess their potential for integration into the enterprise architecture
- Advise the government customer on the benefits, risks, feasibility, and cost-effectiveness of various Courses of Action (COAs) to achieve the enterprise architectural vision in near, medium, and long-term epochs
- Provide technical support to SAF/SP in the areas of planning (data collection, plans assessment, analysis and study reviews, acquisition program support, and document preparation) and program assessment (budget database, and program objective memorandum (POM) assessment and documentation preparation) within National Security Space (specifically with respect to MILSATCOM).
- Prepare and deliver executive level briefings, explain complex concepts in simple language, summarize key decisions, and provide recommendations supported by analysis.
- An active Top Secret clearance with eligibility for SCI is required for the position
- Comprehensive understanding of current and planned MILSATCOM programs and system capabilities
- Expert at National Security Space (NSS) acquisition program management, preferably with experience spanning echelons from system program office to the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) (or comparable)
- Master’s degree in in an Engineering, Scientific, or Analysis field relevant to MILSATCOM (Relevant experience may be substituted for education, subject to customer approval.)
- Twenty or more years’ experience in operations, engineering, scientific, analysis, policy and/or planning field related to national security space, with an emphasis on SATCOM (Education may be substituted for some experience, subject to customer approval.)
- 7+ years’ experience in or directly supporting MILSATCOM operations, policy or acquisition.
- Demonstrated understanding of Space enterprise to include DoD requirements, acquisition, and budgeting processes and applicable National Security Space (NSS) guidance and policy.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, lead and execute studies or projects
- Demonstrated interpersonal, organizational, oral presentation executive writing and documentation skills.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Space Systems Engineering or a related field
- Experience supporting OSD, Service HQ or DoD Agency or IC staffs
- Familiarity with civil, commercial, and international space capabilities
- Understanding of the Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF) and architecting processes.