Studio Director / Videographer
Less than 5 years experience • Broadcasting
The employee in the position of Studio Director/Videographer should be a creative, self-starting person, responsible for the overall quality and success of specified production projects and for ensuring conformity to the station’s mission, strategic objectives and quality standards. The incumbent works collaboratively with other employees, independent contractors, interns, volunteers and public stakeholders toachieve station goals and to leverage content across multiple media platforms.
- Utilize field and studio cameras, audio and lighting equipment, video switchers and other available resources to capture and/or create high quality and engaging local content, including multi-camera productions, documentaries, promotions, PSAs and other material for broadcast and web platforms.
- Oversee live and live-to-tape multi-camera productions in the studio; Manage studio productions and studio equipment, including set-up and strike.
- Coordinate pre-production aspects of studio productions, including lighting, camera positions, scripts/rundowns, special effects, graphics, packages, etc., aswell as production values, to ensure a high-quality production.
- Direct live television productions from control room, working with other staff members and/or outside contractors to coordinate graphics, packages, audio and studio cameras into a high-quality production.
- Maintain and repair or replace studio equipment in coordination with studio production schedule.
- Provide feedback and ideas to improve the quality of the content produced.
- Build a pool of freelance and volunteer crew members and coordinate their training and work scheduling.
- Shoot and edit video, create motion and still graphics for productions as needed.
- Plan and perform post-production tasks, including reviewing footage, making editorial decisions, tape logging, rough cuts, audio sweetening, color grading, and non-linear editing using Final Cut Pro and/or Adobe Premiere software suites.
- Utilize post-production tools such as Photoshop, After Effects, Motion, and similar software to achieve production goals.
- Transport, set up, and strike production equipment, stages, and props asrequired; Perform basic troubleshooting and maintenance of production equipment.
- Assist in increasing station revenue through production services.
- Various other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate competency in video production including single and multi-camera operations (live and pre-recorded), lighting, audio, and post-production editing.
- Strong attention to detail, and desire to produce the best content efficiently and effectively.
- Manage time and resources according to each production’s requirements and tomeet specified deadlines.
- Understand viewer needs, interests, and motivations.
- Cooperative, professional and diplomatic attitude with staff, partners, supporters, volunteers, vendors, and the public.
- Assist in the execution of station brand strategy.
- Prepare necessary reports and/or maintains log of production activities.
- Demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement and professional skill development.
- Consistent, reliable attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to travel and work a flexible schedule, including occasional long hours.
- Participate in station events after normal business hours, when requested.
Qualifications, Capabilities and Competencies
- Minimum AA degree or equivalent training in relevant discipline, plus three years of relevant experience.
- Multi-camera directing experience. Passionate about production and improving the quality of work product.
- Ability to prioritize effectively across multiple projects.
- Creative with ability to work at a fast pace, calmly and effectively underdeadline pressure and changing priorities.
- Ability to contribute creative ideas for content, interstitials and other on-air/online elements.
- Enthusiasm for developing and creating compelling video stories.
- Up-to-date expertise in production techniques and technologies.
- Knowledge of FCC, CPB, PBS regulatory requirements a plus.
- Knowledge of relevant safety regulations and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal communication and customer service skills.
- Knowledge of studio and post-production equipment and software.
- Must have valid California Driver’s License in good standing.
- Must be sighted and have good hearing.
- Must be able to repeatedly reach, bend, and stoop; occasionally climb and workat heights up to 25 feet; frequently carry up to 25 pounds; and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds, among other physical activities.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary todescribe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of working requirements. Individuals may perform duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences, as relief, to equalize peak workperiods or otherwise balance the workload.