SSOE is seeking a Structural Department Manager to coach, and mentor staff within the department.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coaches, directs, coordinates, facilitates and supervises department staff. This includes all evaluation and employee relations responsibilities: manpower planning/staffing, hiring, development, promotion and performance management.
- Ensures the technical competency and quality of work performed by staff. Licensed individuals may be required to seal discipline documents.
- Develops, organizes and implements discipline and departmental standards, recordkeeping, and improvements. Responsible for establishing, monitoring and adhering to PY budget or otherwise taking action to make changes and adjustments as necessary to meet financials objectives. Implements strategic activities within department to achieve objectives of operations unit and corporate business.
- Supports PIC customer maintenance and business development activities and assists project managers in preparing proposals, and making presentations.
- Verifies that the Discipline Captain has defined discipline work plans for each project and monitors progress to ensure key measures are met.
- Reviews and approves Discipline Captain’s project change orders prior to submitting to Project Manager.
- Prepares and monitors project work schedules and projected workload schedules for department.
- Provides staffing, current tool, and technical reference materials such that the Discipline Captain can meet project requirements.
- Identifies strengths and weaknesses of department personnel to identify and prioritize training needs. Develops and implements department training program with the assistance of the Training and Development Department.
- Responsible for departmental expenses, profit and loss.
- Supports or drive strategic improvement initiatives.
- Travelrequired up to 5%.
- Valid driver’s license required. May be waived for international assignments.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree / RELATED / 8+
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor or Masters Degree in Structural Engineering with minimum of eight (8) years related experience or ten (10) to twelve (12) years direct experience.
- PE license in Oregon is required.
- Must be able to function efficiently in an environment that is constantly changing with a high tolerance for ambiguity.
- Must support drive continuous performance improvement for self and staff.
- Demonstrated skill in cross discipline coordination and collaboration.
- Able to ensure employees have meaningful work and feel connected and appreciated.
- Drive a mentality of making and meeting commitments.
- Working knowledge of building codes in hazardous occupancies preferred.