You will work with general supervision and direction on average sized projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a Senior Engineer/Designer. You will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and
specification for engineered systems or products for a project verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for projects of average complexity/size.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all structural components relating to hydromechanical systems.
- Performs preliminary and detailed structural analysis and design for hydraulic steel structures (spillway gates, hydraulic conduit closure gates, marine navigational gates, and other miscellaneous isolation and flow regulating gated structures)
- Engages in the development of a design through engineering calculations, sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes technologies in development of three-dimensional models of structural systems and provides markups for junior engineers/ designers.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various structural phases including site plans, general equipment arrangements, conceptual and detailed structural developments, detailed component design, and fabrication level assembly information.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, subcontractors,
- and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings and value analysis and basic cost estimating.
- Assists upper level staff with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Performs and oversees the performance of calculations using company standard software, and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the structural group.
- Works on multiple projects.
- Mentoring and professional development of other personnel.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of structural design codes including USACE ETL 1110-2-584 (Design of Hydraulic Steel Structures).
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and
- Strong knowledge of structural systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards, with specific emphasis hydraulic steel structures.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred.
- Requires a detailed understanding of solids modeling programs such as Autodesk Inventor with a working knowledge of finite element analysis tools as they pertain to steel structures.
- Knowledge of mathematical computational tools such as MathCAD and the ability to perform detailed structural calculations within this environment.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering. Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum of 5-6 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.